Thread: Snowbird Take 3

Talking Snowbird Take 3

After spending a few days for the past few years with the family at a cabin on Snowbird creek, we decided to rent it for a whole week this year. It was nice to have the creek in your backyard. While it was possible to cast from the hot tub into the creek, it looked hard to get good drift from there so I didn't bother.

Even better than a selfie. I unloaded the car make sure the wife and kids were happy and dressed for the river

That Rainbow was 13 inches and cooked up real nice. I soon caught a Brookie as well. Not a bad start to the trip

Let the boys torture it for a minute then released it unharmed.

Later that evening I fished at dusk across from the barn. Besides a few shiners this was this only fish caught of the intended specie.

I heard several big fish rise which got me pretty excited, but I couldn't see what they were rising for. I soon got caught up in a tree and broke my flies off. I knew it was time to ask for help and headed in for the night.

The next day it was pretty obvious what I had missed the night before. The boys had a blast and wanted a "Stonefly Pet"

The boys had a blast with the stoneflies and Sam asked if the fish ate them. Since bait fishing was legal on this stretch I took my tippet from the night before and tied on a huge Golden Stonefly without a hook and cast it. First cast nothing. Second cast a hit but I jumped the gun and pulled it away too fast. Third cast - Slam! It was gone. I was left with just some tippet. I quickly disassembled a pink weenie to get a hook and repeated with another stonefly ready to hook one. I missed 2 fish then somehow the fly got off and floated downstream. As it was now late morning the stoneflies were all gone so I was back to using artificial flies

Later that day we got a few strong thunderstorms. That evening when I went out to fish, a feeder stream was completely silted out and make fishing a bit tougher

Most of the vacation wasn't about fishing and was about family time. Since the forecast has afternoon thunderstorms everyday, we opted to get out early and do some hiking

This dead tree trunk has rotted out and fallen in since the last time we had been there

Unlike the Smokies, dogs are welcome here

Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Talking

I'm raising tree huggers

See Daddy I can get my hand all the way around this one easy.

Even our dog hugs trees

Sam takes in the contrasting light of the forest

The twins at the Twin Poplars

This guy gave us a little surprise but wasn't any trouble. I'm sure he thought he was camouflaged as it didn't move the whole time.

After a hike Huck was ready to go for a swim, but like a good dog listened to his master and didn't spook the fish. You can see the water murking up from the rains.

Since the water was up it was time for some kayaking. Mom dropped us off at the confluence and we floated down to the cabin.

Everyone was worn out from a good day

Woke up the next day to my phone being dead (no reason) and Thomas having a finger that was really infected. Back across the mountain to home to see the doctor and get my old phone activated. Lost most of a day, but quickly made it back to the cabin that evening.

The next day the whole family kayaked the 4 miles from our cabin down to where Snowbird road runs into 143. I did a solo run that morning to scout for kids safety, then we all headed down that afternoon after a friendly neighbor helped shuttle our van to the takeout.

Boys pointing out the waterfalls ahead (6-8 inches)

Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Talking

Mom was in a boat by herself for the first time in a long time and did great despite getting stuck a few times

While there are houses along much of this run there were 2 miles of beautiful forest that was quite enjoyable

That afternoon we decided to check out another cabin on another creek that we might rent sometime

It was along a creek as well so I gave it a shot for 20 minutes. Baby Rainbow factory. 12-15 fish got racked up pretty quick. Considering there was time for boys to torture a few of the trout slowed me down. I'll be back to this creek for sure.

That evening back at the cabin during a little yellow stonefly hatch, I got my first Brown of the trip. No red spots, but I'm not too picky

I'm glad I got this shot when I did cause he shook off the minute he touched my hand. I'm guessing it was 14-15 inches. Went and grabbed the net off tail water vest right after.

Natural ones too

See ya next year! Thanks for letting me share

www.foamiefriends.com

Awesome. Thanks for posting this.
    "Here fishy fishy."

Ducky, I don't know anything about raising kids, but I have no issue telling others how to raise theirs. It looks like you've got it figured out. Great trip. Well, except for the injured trigger finger.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Ducky glad you and your family are having a good time. Great report...I am a little suprised you let that hobo with no shirt sit on your sofa and pet your dog......what?...thats you?....my bad!!! Seriously, again glad you guys are having a big time!

"It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Great report, looks like everyone was having a great time. Remember this time because soon you'll be fighting with the boys to get some fresh water to fish!
    Tad

Nice report Ducky, Snowbird is a sweet little stream for sure. Glad you had a good time with your family.

Wow, looks like a great time was had by all.

You just had to check out the creek near the other cabin.. Well played

Looks like a great family trip. We're expect our first kid in a few months, so I'm taking notes!!!