Thread: Fishing in the Rain

Default Fishing in the Rain

In today's fishing report, Byron spoke of the dangers of fishing in flooding conditions. If you've ever been on the Clinch River and looked upstream to see a Tsunami heading toward you and the river bank 50 yards away, an adrenaline rush can be truly had! I saw a recent video of a "wall" of water coming out of Greenbrier within the past few weeks. It's NOT worth risking your life. Always be careful when wading in high water. Fatigue and carelessness can be deadly and ain't worth the risk. Always have an escape plan in the event of a sudden surge. Know which side the trail is on at all times. It DOES happen! Years ago, I was fishing the horseshoe and saw the water rise 2 feet in less than 10 minutes.

With that said, in the many years I've fished in the Park, I have had some amazing trips in elevated and downright muddy water. Especially this year, I've been spending a lot of time with gear loaded and ready to "scramble" when rainstorms have been predicted and using the weather radar available on my iPhone. I've gotten fairly adept at predicting storm tracks and using this information to determine where and when to fish. Yesterday, I was fortunate to be off for the Independence Day Holiday and with rain heavy predicted... I've wasn't disappointed. Though in the middle of an absolute downpour, I was experiencing a feeding frenzy and having an awesome time!

Those who know me, know that I use two flies, BIG and BIGGER. The heavy drops pouring onto the surface hid the similarly heavy splash of my large nymphs. I like to fish deep and around rocks and logs where trout can be shielded from the current but still move on food. Big trout become active during rising water. They feed more heavily because there is more food coming downstream and they feel covered by the dingy water and overcast skies. The best part is, with proper clothing (nothing brightly colored) we are somewhat hidden from them as well. It's not uncommon to see LARGE browns move into shallower water to feed during these times, making them more susceptible to the well placed fly. Use weight to get the fly down and get it down quicker to where the they are stationed. I will also use a larger sized tippet since it is less visible in off-colored water, 4x and sometimes even 3x. Believe me when I say, you'll be glad you have that stronger line when you hook into a larger trout in elevated water.

With persistence and proper approach and presentation of the fly, nice sized trout can be easy pickings.

Grampus

Great fish, thats how to do it!

Grampus- Thanks for the report. There's a lot of REALLY good info in there. I've been trying more and more to catch the water spikes on the way up.

Grouser- I was just thinking about shooting you an email last week. Then the cr@p storm hit. Things are back to normal now. We need to get out fishing.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Best time to fish in the warmer summer months. The rain drops the water temps in addition to your other observations that are right on the money. If it gets blow completely out fishing can also be very good as the water starts to fall and clear. Your observations about safety should also be taken to heart. Being stuck on the wrong side of a river wet in a rainforest in the dark of night is no fun. Don't ask me how I know
    Last edited by flyman; 07-04-2015 at 11:47 PM. Reason: 42
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Talking

Nice to see the Big Browns and Grampus Jim came out of hiding!

Thanks for the report
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Default Fishing in the Rain

Another photo from the weekend.

What better way to spend a rainy weekend outdoors!

[/IMG]

Grampus

That's a monster brown grampus, thanks for the pics

That is a BIG female brown JP!

Love fishing streamers when the water is up. Nice fish by the way!