Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking Fish Pictures

Default Taking Fish Pictures

It's past time for me to vent on the subject of fish pictures. Today was the breaking point and I have to speak out, hopefully some will listen and be more aware.

I witnessed multiple photo sessions today on a local river that resulted in dead fish being released. I politely confronted the group of 4 fisherman as I watched fish floating belly up after being held out of the water for way too long, pressed against cotton t shirts, and all thus after being netted in cotton net bags. It was a pathetic display of behavior.

As the sport slipped so far that getting pics is more important then a safe release? It certainly seems that way to me and others I interact with.

I look through pics here and see native brook trout laid on dry moss covered in leaves and dirt. Do people really think this is good for the fish?

Taking pics are fine of course, but take a few minutes to ensure personal glory doesn't Impact a proper and healthy release.

Here's a few tips....

Quickly raise a caught fish out of the water with WET HANDS, have camera ready, take pic....revive fish. It's not hard!

Don't lay fish on dry rocks, dry moss, boat floors, sand, mud, etc etc.
    Don't use cotton net bags, ever!
    There's no reason to take pictures of every fish caught, unless you're trying to prove yourself which would be idiotic in and of itself.

Common sense would go a long way it seems, and if you do kill one at least take it home and eat what you killed.

Rant mode off

I agree with you. The thing is, some people are just stupid, some just don't care, and others are just ignorant and don't know any better.

Just curious, how did it go when you educated that group today?
    Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.

Quote Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
    I agree with you. The thing is, some people are just stupid, some just don't care, and others are just ignorant and don't know any better.

Just curious, how did it go when you educated that group today?
    Not well, I didn't react particularly well when I pointed out a dead fish and was met with the "it's fine" response.

I hope in the end they realized how poor they were treating the fish, I certainly pointed out what was wrong with their behavior

I've got no issues if people keep a few, but get outdone with people who put a picture over the health of a fish they intend to release. I also understand people wanting to record a memory or fish, but there's a responsible way to handle the situation

That could be construed as wanton waste. It's illegal and you could have call Wildlife or got their tag number and turned them in. Your right. If your going to kill it at least eat it or give it to someone that will.

Waterwolf I agree with your fish handling advice but you recently chastised a new member for posting pics of dead fish on here also. So are you saying don't take pics if releasing and don't post dead fish pics? Should we just stop hooking fish altogether?!?! Or just stop taking pictures altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    Waterwolf I agree with your fish handling advice but you recently chastised a new member for posting pics of dead fish on here also. So are you saying don't take pics if releasing and don't post dead fish pics? Should we just stop hooking fish altogether?!?! Or just stop taking pictures altogether?
    So according to you the below is chastising? That's a serious stretch.....

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    Looks like a nice day, and great pictures.

I am left with a question though, those fish all look to be stone dead, some to the point of losing their coloration. I have no issues with folks keeping fish if that is the case, I was just curious.
    That is the only post I made in that topic, and is far from chastising, and just inquiring. Just like above I clearly state I have no issue with people keeping fish. No issues with pics of dead fish either, you clearly missed the entire point in your rush to prejudge. Take all the pictures you want just do it responsibly if you plan on releasing the fish alive. Take a pic of a cooler full for all I care

Boy you are a sensitive little snow flake who seems to have issues with reading comprehension.
    Last edited by waterwolf; 07-26-2015 at 05:41 AM.

Chastise maybe wrong word but the sensitive snowflake is the one who critiques everyone's photos

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    Chastise maybe wrong word but the sensitive snowflake is the one who critiques everyone's photos
    if criticizing people for senselessly and waste fully killing fish in an effort to take a picture makes me a bad guy. Then I'll gladly take that label.

Once again you have a valid point but it often comes across as condescending and that is where fly fishing get it's bad reputation and people get out of the sport because they are constantly criticized by fellow anglers. Now I know from your past posts that you would love it if everyone except you and your friends got out of the sport of fly fishing but I prefer to get people into fly fishing. Nobody supports killing fish and not eating them. The guys you saw on the river were probably just trout rookies and hopefully you tried to educate them (nicely) instead of berate them but I'm guessing that wasn't the case by the way you described their reaction (although I wasn't there so hopefully I'm wrong). Seeing new people on the river can be good, you can make friends and show people stuff. Even fishing guides can introduce people to fishing for the first time and foster/promote stewardship on the water, not just ruin a fragile resource as you would say

Being new to the sport... Why does fly fishing have a bad reputation?