Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brook Trout of the past?

Default Brook Trout of the past?

I have heard tale of large brook trout from Cosby and other streams in the park, way back before the logging companies. I can understand how they would have been larger back then, but how much larger is my question. Anyone have any insight on the subject?

I have heard stories of 14+ inch Brooks. This would have likely been in the larger more fertile streams. Thinking places like lower Luftee, Deep, Hazel, etc. Bigger water, more food, and no competition from browns and bows.

I'm strictly speculating, though.
    Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.

Talking

SPECulating....I see what you did there, ifish

I have read a few books where the author interviewed people who claim to have caught very large brook trout in what is now the park, before the introduction of rainbows & browns. I always assumed that brook trout were plentiful in all the park streams, but in a book I recently finished, one guy describes abrams creek of being pretty much devoid of any edible fish before the introduction of the rainbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
    I have read a few books where the author interviewed people who claim to have caught very large brook trout in what is now the park, before the introduction of rainbows & browns. I always assumed that brook trout were plentiful in all the park streams, but in a book I recently finished, one guy describes abrams creek of being pretty much devoid of any edible fish before the introduction of the rainbows.

Very interesting about Abrams. Wonder if that was a product of the farming practices back in the day? Prior to the days of contour plowing/no till plowing, I would think silt runoff was very bad in the cove.

I have also heard Abrams used to be void of life, they actually poisoned it for some reason. I'll try to find a link, I've seen it on another site somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    I have also heard Abrams used to be void of life, they actually poisoned it for some reason. I'll try to find a link, I've seen it on another site somewhere
    According to what I have found, the Park service poisoned it in 1957 in order to kill all the "rough" fish so as not to compete with the rainbows they were going to stock.

That was it! Couldn't quite remember the details

Quote Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout View Post
    I have heard stories of 14+ inch Brooks. This would have likely been in the larger more fertile streams. Thinking places like lower Luftee, Deep, Hazel, etc. Bigger water, more food, and no competition from browns and bows.

I'm strictly speculating, though.
    I would have to think that way back in the day, prior to TVA, Alcoa, etc., that with rivers such as the Little T and others, there were some pretty large brook trout especially prior to rainbows and Browns being imported. It would be interesting to hear just how large and numerous they were.

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    It would be interesting to hear just how large and numerous they were.
    Sure would JayR. I would also like to know what the water temps were back then on certain streams, I can only imagine alot cooler and the trout much larger than todays. With all the different layers of canopy overhead, I'm guessing it was a much different place.