Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5wt question

Default 5wt question

I am in thoughts on a new rod. A 9 ft 4wt rod. However I have a 5wt sage z axis I love. It cast well and does a superb job for most all my needs. My question is this, how many think that a 5 wt is to large for the smokies and suggest a 4 wt instead?
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

It kind of depends on how you fish the park. I normally fish with either a 3 weight or a 5. This year, I've been fishing the 5 weight more often. If you find yourself spending the majority of your time on the small streams, a lighter rod seems to make it more enjoyable. I've been trying to target larger fish and have spent more time throwing streamers and large nymphs, so the heavier rod has been necessary. Is there that much difference between a 4 weight and a 5? Or, would jumping down 2 rod weights make more sense?
    My posts are worthless without pictures

For years I used a 5 wt. in the park. Didn't have much choice as that was all I had as a poor college student. If it works for you and you catch fish, stay with it.

It's only been in recent times I have been using a couple of different 3 wts. In the park. I couldn't pass the deals up and yes, they are a bit more fun.

Talking

Unless your chasing hogs on Bigger water, I always prefer my 3wt to my 5 wt.

If I were to only have 1 rod for the Smokies it would be a 4wt

I only have 2 rods and love 3 & 5wt (one 8 9 other 9 ft), although 5wt get much more tail water usage.

If I could have 3 Smokies rods it would be 1 or 2 wt short rod for super tight. 3 wt and 5or 6 wt for big water (maybe 6 if I could get into streamer fishing).

So to answer your question, yes 5 wt is too big (but completely fine) in a perfect world unless you just fish the largest water, and if that's the case I'd have a even longer rod. I would check out 3 weights as well as 90% of my park fishing is done with that. If you already own a 5wt, I'd also consider a 3 for more versatility, but the 4wt is the single most versatile Smokies rod in my opinion which doesn't mean all that much

Good Luck
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

flyred06,

hope all is well with you and yours!! 9'0 5wt. Helios 2. You won't regret it!!!

If your this way and would like to borrow one just let me know.

Breck

Thanks Breck. I have several 5 wts (6 to be precise) but I found a new 4wt I really like but can't decide if it's really worth a new rod purchase. I have had so many rods over the years but always in search for the perfect rod for the smokies.

I don't think a 5wt is too much rod for the smokies. I even fish a 6 or 7 wt sometimes. It just depends on how and where you fish. I use sinking lines and streamers some times, and I use 2 large weighted nymphs some times. A 4wt is fine for a small dry dropper, or small weighted nymphs. There really isn't much difference in a fast 4 and 5 wt. If you want to fish small water with small dries and light droppers a 3 wt would make quite a bit of difference. I really don't like anything much smaller than a 3 wt, but I don't do much small stream fishing anymore either. Just a little wind or a couple larger wind resistant or heavy flies become too much for the rod.
    Last edited by flyman; 08-12-2015 at 10:11 PM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

I have been casting 4 wts of several different makers today. I really like the new Winston's I have had several 3 wts and am not a 3 wt fan. Thanks for all the opinions

Go ahead and buy it. You know you want it
    Last edited by flyman; 08-15-2015 at 12:21 AM.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Fly man I like how you think