Thread: Babb

Default Babb

I own 4 bamboo fly rods built by Walter Babb:
    1)A 8ft,6-7 wt. Babb taper rod that will roll cast a midge as easily as it will a streamer.It has two tips one for dry flys and one for nymphs,Walter named this rod ,"Cumberland River Special",it is written on the rod as such along with my name,his signature ,and the date he finished the rod.It is caramel colored.
    2)a 5wt,7 1/2 ft ? taper,with 2 tips,the 1st rod Walter built for me,it is the rod that made me a liker of Bamboo--
    3)a 4wt-7ft-precision taper baby doll--flamed---beautiful to look at---a caster for sure
    4)a 7ft-3wt Babb tapered-flamed-beautifully finished bamboo rod that I have not fished.It is about 10 years old...

I believe the carbon,graphite,plastic rods being produced today are the best rods ever built for fly fishermen.They are ultra light,with accurate actions and they are beautifully built.Many are made in the USA,which I like...they have the feel and excellence of corporate fishing....
    ---I think the Temple Fork line of fly fishing rods are,for the money,are the best rods out there.....

BUT,no matter how much I believe in the 21st century fly rod technology that gets innovated from day to day, I find myself addicted to that fundamental feel of a bamboo rod's slow action, because it is not artificial. Maybe a bamboo rod's action is a bit righter,relative to the naturelness and presence of the streams in the Smoky Mtns .Maybe the local artisans who actually build those homemade bamboo fly rods from scratch are a tenative reminder of where fly fishing began...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by lauxier View Post
    I own 4 bamboo fly rods built by Walter Babb:
    1)A 8ft,6-7 wt. Babb taper rod that will roll cast a midge as easily as it will a streamer.It has two tips one for dry flys and one for nymphs,Walter named this rod ,"Cumberland River Special",it is written on the rod as such along with my name,his signature ,and the date he finished the rod.It is caramel colored.
    2)a 5wt,7 1/2 ft ? taper,with 2 tips,the 1st rod Walter built for me,it is the rod that made me a liker of Bamboo--
    3)a 4wt-7ft-precision taper baby doll--flamed---beautiful to look at---a caster for sure
    4)a 7ft-3wt Babb tapered-flamed-beautifully finished bamboo rod that I have not fished.It is about 10 years old...

I believe the carbon,graphite,plastic rods being produced today are the best rods ever built for fly fishermen.They are ultra light,with accurate actions and they are beautifully built.Many are made in the USA,which I like...they have the feel and excellence of corporate fishing....
    ---I think the Temple Fork line of fly fishing rods are,for the money,are the best rods out there.....

BUT,no matter how much I believe in the 21st century fly rod technology that gets innovated from day to day, I find myself addicted to that fundamental feel of a bamboo rod's slow action, because it is not artificial. Maybe a bamboo rod's action is a bit righter,relative to the naturelness and presence of the streams in the Smoky Mtns .Maybe the local artisans who actually build those homemade bamboo fly rods from scratch are a tenative reminder of where fly fishing began...
    Zillow and Google maps work really well. Wow, Irvine, KY is just a 2 hour drive from Cinci. Pay no attention to the Blue Subaru with Ohio plates now parking on your street. The operator of said vehicle is not watching your comings and goings.

I'd love to own one of Walter's rods and have kicked around the idea of saving up for one, but never can make it happen. Trouble is, if I had one, I'd probably struggle to take it on the water for fear of breaking it.

I own two babb rods and learn to tie flies under Walter. He is a great rid builder and fly tier as well. All around if you go to his house you can cast several rods he has on different proven tapers. I highly recommend Walter if you ever look for cane.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
    I'd love to own one of Walter's rods and have kicked around the idea of saving up for one, but never can make it happen. Trouble is, if I had one, I'd probably struggle to take it on the water for fear of breaking it.
    Couldn't have said it better myself! I know one day I will regret not buying one, but am so hard on my equipment that it just seems like a foolish idea

That is unless Matt has some for sale REAL CHEAP
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Matt and Ducky,
    You guys are terrible, you both know the campout is coming up so Matt please swing by Ky and pick up the rods.... my bad... Lauxier and his rods! The bamboo can then be thoroughly examined in a natural setting under true field conditions!

Lauxier... I am kidding of course.... the other two....not so sure!
    Last edited by bigsur; 08-28-2015 at 05:03 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
    Matt and Ducky,
    You guys are terrible, you both know the campout is coming up so Matt please swing by Ky and pick up the rods.... my bad... Lauxier and his rods! The bamboo can then be thoroughly examined in a natural setting under true field conditions!

Lauxier... I am kidding of course.... the other two....not so sure!
    I have Gauley Fest the weekend before and have NOC GAF sale on the weekend of the campout. If all goes well I will just work NOC on Saturday and head to the campout Saturday Night just in time to crash the party
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Default Babb

Nothing like fishing a cane rod and Walter is a very talented rod maker.

God Bless,
    Dances with Trout

As I read the opening post with your inventory of Walter's rods followed by the declaration of superiority of modern materials, I anticipated something along the lines of "After much thought and deliberation, I have decided to part way with the bamboo" or thereabouts. I was already mentally scratching up funds from some of those places most of us have where money is left alone unless we mess with it.
    Alas, I was played,like a high country brookie, on a well-presented fly. The last paragraph your post was, while probably OK, was a heart-breaker as you professed your addiction to the said bamboo. Perhaps a fireside intervention is in order. wanna go camping?
    “The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana.”
    ― Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It