Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Increased Ranger Activity GSMNP

The only rangers I have come into contact with in the Park have been more than nice and accommodating.

Pretty much in the main parking lot at Big Creek there are always a ranger or two. Very nice people.

I camped out at Smokemont earlier this year and all the Rangers there were very nice from check in to the nightly walk down.

What I have found interesting is that in all my contact with them, I have yet to be checked for a license, bag limit, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    What I have found interesting is that in all my contact with them, I have yet to be checked for a license, bag limit, etc.
    Same here. I've had them pull up behind me, come up and talk, then turn around and leave. Never once checking my license, flies, or creal. In all the years I've fished the Park, I've talked to roughly a dozen rangers and have never been checked.

After saying that, I'll be fishing both Saturday and Sunday. I may need someone to bail me out for a fishing crime I have yet to commit.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Once upon a time, Rangers were known to hide and even climb trees with binoculars to watch for illegal fishing. They were known as "possum cops". When I was 15, I heard a crash in the woods as I was fishing just up from the Wye. Thinking it was a bear I studied the area and saw a ranger cleaning himself off after he apparently fell from a free.

You can't make this stuff up......

Grampus
    Jim Parks

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    Here are the regulations:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

2 flies only and make sure you have 18 inches between
    Ducky thank you for the post, but I see nothing about 18 inches or any minimum distance between the flies.
    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Ducky thank you for the post, but I see nothing about 18 inches or any minimum distance between the flies.

Several months ago, another poster found the link to the detailed fishing regs for the park. As I recall, the legal min distance for a dropper was 12".

Perhaps whoever posted that can re-post it.

I usually measure out about one wading boot's length ( I wear a size 12 wading boot). that is the min length that i will go with. I have printed the fishing regulations from ducky's link and plan on showing this to any ranger that stops me.
    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris

It's in the compendium: page 22. The dropper length is 12 inches.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/learn/manage...endium-all.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post

Thank you!
    Email Kris

Quote Originally Posted by NDuncan View Post

That is great that it is in the compendium via the link above...and on the GRSM webiste. I would argue that this and other details be listed in the fishing regulations area. There is no mention of that in the fishing section of the GRSM site...only buried deep within the Compendium.

This seems rather shady on the part of the NPS.

Another interesting item in the compendium is the provision for the scattering of cremains (ashes) by permit. I know that is what I want for myself.

Note: Perhaps I will ask Ducky to take mine so far up Thunderhead that nobody will ever tread upon them.
    “The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana.”
    ― Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It