Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lro

The first time I visited LRO, I wasn't a fly fisherman yet. My family was camping at what is now the KOA, and it was a warm summer day. LRO was in the old location where Subway is. I took my 3 little boys for a bike ride and we ended up there. We went in, and the boys were hot and sweaty. Paula came right over and offered us some cold water and the boys patted the dog. We were treated like the most important people in the store. I have never forgotten that. LRO has figured out that they are in a people business that happens to sell fly fishing gear. That is why they are so good. They get the details right. I still feel the same way every time I go into the store as I did that first time. How blessed are we all that Byron, Paula, Daniel and Dan have invested themselves in taking care of all of us in our (relatively) obscure pursuit? I am so grateful to have them!
    “The world is full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the further one gets from Missoula, Montana.”
    ― Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

I agree, best shop hands down. We're pretty spoiled to have a shop like LRO in our backyard.

I get a hand-written card thanking me for my fly purchase every time I order online, it's nice seeing people going the extra mile and I try to do the same with my business.

I already like 'em and haven't even had the pleasure of meeting them in person yet, but that will definitely change over Christmas when we're up the for ten days.....they'll get tired of seeing me .
    Last edited by 01tundra; 11-11-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Could not agree more and thank you for starting this thread. Although the guys don't know me from Adam's house cat when I walk in the store, they always treat me like I am in there every day. I make it a point to stop in every time I am passing through and, even thought they have never tried to sell me anything, I cant leave with out at least up picking up some tying supplies from the great selection they keep.

The thing that really sticks out to me is the service I have received when ordering items online or on the phone. I bought a new rod/reel last year and a new vice this year and both times, when the package arrived at the house, there was a hand written thank you note from Daniel included with the item. Seriously? I mean who does that anymore? I also received a phone call from Daniel last year to offer me a better alternative to a rod tube I ordered online. That is the kind of stuff that makes you understand that they really do care that you have a good experience and it makes you want to go back. Wherever life takes me, I will fly fish, and you can bet LRO will be where I go for the things I need.

JL

I have been shopping at LRO for nearly as long as they have been in existence. Byron and I had a running joke that I could never leave without spending at least $25.00. They always treat me as though I'm going to spend money there, even if I don't, which hardly ever happens. A few months ago I spent $50 or so, and Daniel said that it made up for the last time when I didn't spend as much. Byron mentioned the other employees, but he showed them how to treat customers well. It came down from the top. I trust that LRO will continue in business for many years to come. It is certainly in capable hands with Daniel Drake and Dan Munger running the show there.

We have to remember to support our local fly shops and not just LRO. But, I especially try to give my most of my business to LRO. You get a customized experience and that special attention to you as a customer. It is what makes a great fly shop thrive! Also; Byron and his team support so many conservation initiatives, host specialized events, fundraisers, etc. These things help protect our sport and give it a voice. So; I try to remember these things and they pay the bill for this web forum as well for us to share and communicate ideas. Byron is a good fella and I have always enjoyed ordering from Daniel Drake. That guy gets it done however it takes and works with you in trying to get what you want! Daniel is probably one of the few fly shop stewards that I take his rod, reel, line advice to the highest regard.

One thing he showed me after the FTW Event was the Beadmaster. Although I do not need it; I know many of my buddies that it would help immensely. I just wish I had thought of it.

Give Daniel a shout if you want to know more about this neat tool.

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Default Fly Tiers Weekend ~~THANKS Byron

Byron, on behalf of the Fly Fishing Museum of The Southern Appalachian Alen, Amy and I want to thank you and all of the other folks that made this a successful weekend for us..... we were able to raise some money that will help us keep the doors open.......it is truly a blessing to be friends with people such as you and your crew...........

THANKS
    Bob Nanney
    Activities Coordinator
    Fly Fishing Museum of the Southern Appalachians

Thanks again everyone. You are too kind.

Bob, I'm happy you guys did well at Fly Tyers Weekend. This was a group effort between LRO, Tremont Lodge and Resort and the Southeastern Council of the International Federation of Fly Fishers.

I hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving and in advance, I'm wishing you a Merry Christmas and other holidays.

You all have been very supportive friends of ours for a long time, 21 years now, I think.

Your kind support has provided many of us at LRO, a chance to work in an industry and sport we love. And, we get to work with each other at the shop. We are all close friends there, and maybe that is one reason our shop has endured. We all very grateful to you.

Bless you all,

Byron

Late to this thread, couldn't quite express my gratitude. Byron, Paula, and Daniel your store is very special. When you can't be in the store you've manage to hire the finest caliber folks to man the counter. (The verdict is still out on Munger though). Byron's reports and the geeking out on flyfishing knowledge on this forum really helps to tie me over between trips.

When I walked into the store yesterday Dan and Bill were talking with TNFlyfisher. Dan walked up, shook my hand and informed me that bigsur had been talking smack about me again. I'm a customer that comes in every time I'm in town. That is still only the 6 or 7 times a year my wife lets me come down. Dan and Bill made me feel like I had been in a dozen times this week. Thunderhead8 arrived and was greeted the same. Bigsur was late of course. There was no thought of anywhere else for the group to meet up.

Several years back I posted in the fishing buddy hookup thread. TNflyfisher took the trip down to join me at Husky branch. I hiked down from campsite #24 and he hiked up from Elkmont. We fished up to the big bridge, in started snowing hard; we were still catching fish on DRY flies until we were both too cold. I guess the water was warm enough to have them looking up, the air certainly wasn't. Was a once in a lifetime day on the water. This spring duckypaddler took me to one of his special streams. This was one you don't need to parachute into. (Though a great guide had his friend from the North there that day too.) Both thanks to the fishing buddy thread that Paula started.

On one of my trips down last year I happened upon an ugly dude throwing his boots out of the disheveled back of an ugly truck. I can't say which was uglier. We struck up a conversation about the fishing conditions. I offered the ugly dude a cigar. He said, "I see you are from Ohio but you should get on the Little River Outfitters message board." I told the ugly man I'd been on the board for years and had been visiting the store since it was in the Subway. "Wait, you're the mattblick from Ohio?"

Thanks to this board I've met TNFlyfisher, Dances with Trout, Thunderhead 8, a host of other great folks; then there's bigsur..

God bless you.
    Last edited by mattblick; 12-15-2015 at 02:20 AM.