Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lro

Default Lro

I find the LRO fishing report to be about as good as a fishing report can be for no other reason than Byron and Daniel's relentless'ness.It's there,every day.You can count on it.Seven days a week.....and if that's not enough,LRO reports the conditions of the streams of the GSMNP,truthfully,which means a lot to fly-fisher-folks trying to make a terminal decision on wheather to drive the miles to the park for a day or two of fishing can use the fishing report as a honest decision making ,yes or no tool.
    --Remember a year or two ago--when there was a drought and the streams about dried up??I was thinking about coming to the park to fish.The LRO fishing report recommended fisherman NOT to make the trip,because conditions were worse than bad.Having been self-employed for 30 years,I thought,....Imagine that,a fly shop,which is a busines telling you not to come and fish their streams because the fishing is miserable.I took their advice,which defines the source of credibility and good will relative to a customer friendly business.
    --my daughter came to LRO to buy me a hat---she bought one---said everyone was super nice

t

They know how to do business, that's for sure

I really think it is one of the best shops in the US.
    Maybe it doesn't have the legend status of a dan bailey or the rod selection that a place like the caddis fly has, but when you go into those shops, the people just aren't friendly and really could care less unless you want to book a trip or buy an expensive rod. As much as I valued one of the stores we used to have in Knoxville, it was sort of the same way. And I get it. I used to work outdoor retail. It was really hard to get excited every day at work about talking to a stranger about a boring nickel & dime item. But, at LRO you get the same level of service if you are buying a rod or a license.

LRO has a good balance of everything, and possibly one of the best tying materials selections ever. Even when the entire world was out of saddle hackle a few years back, they either had it, or would email you when they got it. I was looking for some plain old grizzly, and Daniel took my email address saying he hoped to get some in the next shipment. I thought, sure, as if he'll remember to email me with all he'd have going on during a typical work week. Sure enough, about a week later, he emailed me, saying they just had a delivery and got some hackle.

Another thing I like is that the employees won't lie to you. Its obvious that not all the employees are experts, but if you ask a question, they will go find someone who knows the answer. They won't just make something up. That's really important to me.

Also, the flexibility in doing business is great. My mother in law buys me some tying materials every Christmas. She is set in the old ways and just wont put a credit card # into a website and order online. I give her a list and she calls the store and reads it off to them and they ship it to her. She has no clue what the stuff on the list is, she just reads it word for word and they get it right every time.

I feel like Norm from Cheers everytime time I walk in the shop. Where else can a guy go and everyone knows your name. It's a great group of folks that run the show there.

I'll miss the day when Byron decides to retire and quit writing the fishing report.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Thanks very much guys. We appreciate all of the kind words, Byron and Paula and Daniel have put a lot of work into making the shop what it is and I'll make sure to bring this post to their attention.
    I've enjoyed getting to know some of you for the last year while I've been here and I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of you.
    Even you Buzz

Default Amen

I have made it a habit of visiting fly shops when I travel even if I am not on a fishing trip. I have visited shops in at least twenty states. LRO is by far the best I have been in. There simply is no comparison especially when it comes to service with the on-line store. Thanks guys!!!!!
    Don Winningham

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

Thumbs up

Can't say enough about the staff at LRO, and nothing can compare to the shop itself, we all know that (and so does everyone else). Keep it up gang, I was pleased to read that sales were doing very well this year.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
    I feel like Norm from Cheers everytime time I walk in the shop. Where else can a guy go and everyone knows your name. It's a great group of folks that run the show there.

I'll miss the day when Byron decides to retire and quit writing the fishing report.
    Sorry Buzz, I am Norm! I am the fat guy who walks in the shop and they all no my name!! I wholeheartedly agree with you all! LRO Is a Top notch fly shop and I try to give them all of my Fly fishing and fly tying business.
    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris

I want to thank all of you for the kind words and early this morning, as I prepare to finish up Day-2 of Fly Tyers Weekend, you have really given me a boost. You made a great day even better for me.

I agree, the people who work at LRO are the finest, not including me. I work at home now. They are honestly friendly, not just putting on a show. I trust everyone there, will do everything they are able to do, to make your experience with us positive, so you will come back.

Larry refers to the drought. None of us want to tell people not to visit our store or fish the waters here. But, to be honest, sometimes you have to. Honesty builds long term relationships and I guarantee you, we are here for the long haul, not a quick sale.

Someone at Fly Tyers Weekend yesterday, said he sent me an e-mail and I didn't reply. I felt awful. I must have deleted it by accident. I answer all e-mail from real people. I don't know what happened.

I believe everyone who works at our shop, enjoy meeting people and helping them in any way they can. They are all friendly people at heart. They are my friends. They all do a great job and the store is doing well because of that. I also know they have plans to do even better. Wait and see.

Thanks again for making my day.

Byron

Talking

Great service as always! Bill who is awesome on and off the field was there helping at the TU booth. Byron was a huge help to me yesterday trying to find me materials (all the fly tyers were awesome as well) that will sink. Went to LRO after to buy some stuff and all the employees were great. Daniel came out and helped me a bunch. Brainstormed with me for a while about fishing stuff as well as my business. Even took the time to Google search something I thought he might be able to help me with. And yes I also got the TFO back from break #9 so if I can ever get a minute to fish....

Byron being at home is ok since the masses still get the fishing report, but the only real negative was the loss of Paula, who was kind enough to make an appearance at Fly Tyers weekend as well. While her candy jar is still there, getting candy from Daniel isn't quite the same as there was something about her presence that made an impact with my boys. Plus I don't think I have had a 100 fish day since she been gone:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=15116
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com