Thread: BC v FC

Question BC v FC

This is kinda a poll, no pun intended.

Is it more or less challenging to catch trout in the Back Country?

Thanks,
    Mike
    "I'm just here to entertain the fish"

I think the trout are more willing in the backcountry maybe due to lack of pressure so maybe "catching" is easier if you know what you are doing. That would be dressing in muted colors, staying low, approaching pools with stealth, good presentation, etc. If you do those things decently it is easier in my opinion. On the other hand physically it is more demanding for obvious reasons. Having to hike many miles before dropping into a stream is tough on most people unless you are a young person.

Less challenging, due to less pressure. However, the amenities of back country fishing offer a special experience that exceeds the fishing component alone.

Ironically, back country fishing in the Southeast most always results in smaller trout than roadside streams that have wild trout. Our waters are quite infertile and the actions of man often greatly improve the insect life and therefore the size of the trout.

To me one is not more difficult than the other but each has unique difficulties.

In my opinion the fish in the front country have seen the flies before, they will be more likely to pass up a fly that isn't drifting just right. But this same experience makes the fish less likely to spook. Front country water is generally bigger, needing longer drifts and skillful line management - but less difficulty avoiding trees. I have difficulty reading bigger water.

I think the back country trout spook much more easily than the front. Stealth is essential. When you do spook them, they'll certainly spook the rest of the fish in that pool and chain reaction might get the next few up. If you see boot prints its generally a good idea to walk on. You are going to have more growth on the banks to further challenge the stealth and make casting technically challenging. All those challenges aside, I think getting a strike out of a back country trout is easier. You can get by with much shorter casts, and easier line management. . I find the smaller water easier to read.