Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Creek Brook Trout Restoration

Default Anthony Creek Brook Trout Restoration

I got a park volunteer email today that mentioned several times about an Anthony Creek Brook Trout restoration project. In it it says the volunteers will meet at the "Abrams Creek Picnic Area for transport up the trail". Does anyone know any more details about this project are they going to kill off rainbows in Anthony Creek and change it over to brook trout? Where is "Abrams Creek Picnic area"? I know where the Cades Cove picnic area is but not sure where Abrams Creek picnic area is at and I suspect that is a misprint maybe.

I guess I was surprised at this I thought normally they just restored brook trout above a natural barrier falls but can't think of any significant falls on Anthony Creek anywhere. TN Landforms shows none. Of course there is Abrams falls but it is on Abrams Creek not Anthony Creek.
    Last edited by Crockett; 02-09-2016 at 11:18 AM.

I hope this is just a rumor that has been misunderstood or is just incorrect.
    Would be a massive waste of money & resources.

Here is the email attachment where I saw it (which was regarding sampling). I agree Grannyknot maybe this is just some kind of misprint and instead of restoration they meant sampling. I did notice Anthony Creek Brook Trout Restoration was on the schedule 3 or 4 times for this year which was odd:

Certainly some confusion on the meeting area.
    I hope whatever they plan on doing doesn't involve a long term closure.

So many streams that this would be better suited for.
    Then again, nothing the park does anymore surprises me.

Default Anthony Creek Restoration

I spoke with Matt Kulp from the GSMNP Fisheries this morning. He confirmed that they will be doing a restoration on Anthony Creek above the picnic area at Cades Cove.
    There is an old mill dam a ways up the trail and the restoration will occur upstream of that barrier. They are going to use a different method than they have used on the last several restorations. He explained to me that they would use electroshocking to remove rainbows and then eventually re-populate with Southern strain brook trout. He wasn't definite but I got the impression that the stream would not be closed to fishing (this is non-official info).

They don't have an official press release as of yet so as more information becomes available we will learn more. Stay tuned

Daniel Drake

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
    I hope this is just a rumor that has been misunderstood or is just incorrect.
    Would be a massive waste of money & resources.
    I saw it Saturday and was shocked myself, that was until they pointed out the barrier which I was ignorant of. Why would it be a waste of money and resources? Seems like replacing Native Brookies in place of Rainbows looks like exactly what the park should be doing To me the headwaters of Anthony is a good place to play with the kids and maybe catch a few small rainbows. I could see some fisherman have concern if they were doing it down at confluence with Abrams, but now really sure where you are coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
    So many streams that this would be better suited for.
    Then again, nothing the park does anymore surprises me.
    Which Ones?

Quote Originally Posted by D-Drake View Post
    I spoke with Matt Kulp from the GSMNP Fisheries this morning. He confirmed that they will be doing a restoration on Anthony Creek above the picnic area at Cades Cove.
    There is an old mill dam a ways up the trail and the restoration will occur upstream of that barrier. They are going to use a different method than they have used on the last several restorations. He explained to me that they would use electroshocking to remove rainbows and then eventually re-populate with Southern strain brook trout. He wasn't definite but I got the impression that the stream would not be closed to fishing (this is non-official info).

They don't have an official press release as of yet so as more information becomes available we will learn more. Stay tuned

Daniel Drake
    Thanks Daniel

Didn't know about the electroshocking only and look forward to volunteering and seeing this method which worked so well on Upper Road Prong as well as others in the park that were done before i started volunteering.

When they did Lynn Camp I could relate to some fisherman being sore about losing a good Rainbow stream for the possibility of a good Brookie stream and how they didn't see the risk to be worth it (Turns out they were wrong); but Upper Anthony isn't nearly the caliper stream to begin with, and **** they aren't even poisoning it. Please enlighten me if I'm missing some things?
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Thanks Daniel and DP. Daniel feel free to remove this thread if it causes a problem I didn't mean to jump the gun on an announcement by the park I just thought I had missed a previous announcement.

I think I know where this old mill Dam is if it is the one that is maybe 2-300 yards up the trail from the picnic area there is a fairly large pool beneath it. It is a pretty short barrier though. This barrier is in the stream well before you get to the horse camp area.

I am not sure which other streams would be better candidates maybe there aren't any. If that is the case maybe its a good thing they are down to such a small "insignificant" stream as Anthony Creek. They did do Mannis Branch years ago I think which is even smaller and pretty much innaccessible for most fisherman.

Now the devils advocate in me wonders about the PR motivation of being able to announce how Brook Trout have been restored in Cades Cove, one of the most popular and well known parts of the park.

Could they be hoping the brook trout expand range downstream maybe all the way into Abrams naturally or is that a possibility?
    Last edited by Crockett; 02-09-2016 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    I saw it Saturday and was shocked myself, that was until they pointed out the barrier which I was ignorant of. Why would it be a waste of money and resources? Seems like replacing Native Brookies in place of Rainbows looks like exactly what the park should be doing To me the headwaters of Anthony is a good place to play with the kids and maybe catch a few small rainbows. I could see some fisherman have concern if they were doing it down at confluence with Abrams, but now really sure where you are coming from.
    I was unaware there was a barrier large enough to prevent a re-population of rainbows. Been up and down Anthony creek a few times and never noticed it.

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    Which Ones?
    Just throwing these out there, Indian Creek (the deep creek one), maybe meigs creek, and maybe even spruce flats branch. Or even something in the Big Creek watershed. It seems the efforts have been pretty concentrated. Surely if they are taking this one as seriously as others, there will be a lengthy closure, which will annoy lots of folks who like to fish it in the winter, not to mention other times of the year.

If this will help alleviate the profusion of viator impatibile on Lynn Camp since it's reopening this past spring I am personally in favor of it. The accessibility of Anthony Creek lends itself to containment in an area that already contains large quantities of the above sub-species and makes it even easier to avoid!
    Last edited by bigsur; 02-10-2016 at 11:40 AM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Matt mentioned the plans to restore Anthony creek at the latest trout unlimited meeting, I'm all for it. He also stated that there aren't many streams left that they can possibly restore. The key is a waterfall or dam and that's what is allowing them to restore Anthony creek