Thread: Melbourne Beach, FL

Default Melbourne Beach, FL

Leaving for Melbourne Beach next weekend. Any tips on area or fly selection would be appreciated. I will be using my new 8 weight BVK. We will be wade fishing for the most part but might rent a kayak a couple days.

I lived nearby almost 20 years ago. I didn't fly-fish in salt at that time ao I can't help. Plenty of sea trout in the Indian and Banana rivers though.

Default Saw this after the fact

Quote Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
    Leaving for Melbourne Beach next weekend. Any tips on area or fly selection would be appreciated. I will be using my new 8 weight BVK. We will be wade fishing for the most part but might rent a kayak a couple days.
    How did your trip go? I was just down there in November. The wind was 10-25 mph almost the whole trip with small craft advisories offshore most days. Talk about a rough first saltwater trip. It was my first time so I guess it's OK that it was mostly a recon/learning trip. I now know the areas where I can find public access and wadeable water. These are few and far between. I'm headed back on Tuesday for a week. This time I'll probably rent a kayak if the wind isn't crazy - next time I'm planning to take the Towee.

I did find a great Fly Shop (Harry Goode's) down there and they were really helpful with flies and areas to try - although he warned me that because of the weather I shouldn't be surprised if I don't catch anything... even the locals were having a tough time due to the constant stirred up murky water.

BTW - that's the Indian River... not the Ocean

It was a great trip....fly fishing not so much though. We encountered a bunch of the same weather you did. My new 8wt BVK was able to cast in the wind no problem though. We rented a little john boat one day from Honest Johns fish camp. That was probably our best chance to go and hide from the wind in the mangroves but we ended up with 2 bumps and then one small snook. We also drove up to Mosquito Lagoon and battled 25 mph winds. We had to be careful up there because there were massive gators everywhere! We did some surf fishing with the spinning rods and we caught blues, pompano, trout, sheepshead and whiting. Other than that lots of sunburn seafood and beer.

Quote Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
    It was a great trip....fly fishing not so much though. We encountered a bunch of the same weather you did. My new 8wt BVK was able to cast in the wind no problem though. We rented a little john boat one day from Honest Johns fish camp. That was probably our best chance to go and hide from the wind in the mangroves but we ended up with 2 bumps and then one small snook. We also drove up to Mosquito Lagoon and battled 25 mph winds. We had to be careful up there because there were massive gators everywhere! We did some surf fishing with the spinning rods and we caught blues, pompano, trout, sheepshead and whiting. Other than that lots of sunburn seafood and beer.
    I bought the same rod for my last trip (and for smallmouth fishing in the rivers here). It rocks. Yeah - I saw those gators out there at Mosquito Lagoon too - a little unsettling when you're out there by yourself for the first time.

Good tip on the boat from Honest John's I'm planning to do the same.

BTW - here's a good resource for the Mosquito Lagoon area - not flyfishing focused, but TONS of good info on the area... boat ramps, regulations, where to find fish throughout the year and plenty of regular reports.

http://johns-centralflorida-fishing.blogspot.com