Thread: Excellent: Outboard Motor Tuneup/Repair Website

Post Excellent: Outboard Motor Tuneup/Repair Website

Guys, I have referenced this website for years and I thought some of you might find it useful in tuning up or repairing your outboard boat motors.

Cite: Leroy's Ramblings http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Outb...0articles.html
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Great resource! If only he had a Nissan section Thanks, though... some good general info in there.

Todd

Good info source. I used to have an early seventies Evinrude 9.2 and it was very reliable.
    I have a 5 year old Mercury 9.9 4 stroke on my v-jon and I learned the hard way last spring to always carry an extra set of new spark plugs. I ran almost 8 miles upstream of a boat launch on the TN river and my motor shut down and would not start. I removed and cleaned the plugs but still could not get it started. It took 4 hours using my trolling motor and paddle to get back. It turned out that the plugs had fouled so bad , that even a cleaning wouldn't help.
    I thought it was bad gas , even though it was new fresh 100%. The dealer had just checked everything out a month earlier and put a new water pump on. I had already had the boat out 4-5 times before this happened and everything ran good. Sometimes boats and motors can sure be frustrating to deal with!

Gary,
    Sounds like the fuel could have been an issue. The four-strokes need a min. of 87 octane for fuel pressure needs. If it was a month old; then it could degrade down to 85 octane and create pre-detonation issues and foul your plugs. This will cause you worse problems in the long run. Probably one of the few negatives with having a four-stroke.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    power

I thought it was fuel also, but I buy fresh gas the night before every trip. It's only a 3 gal tank and what ever I don't run out, I empty out into my lawn mower or a gas can. and it gets used up. I also add a couple of ounces of seafoam to every tank full, to absorb any moisture in the gas.
    The dealer told me the gas was good, just that the plugs had fouled out. They replaced them and it ran good the rest of the summer. I carry an extra set with me along with the basic tools in a drybox in case I have to change them while on the water again. I keep internal debating whether to sale the boat and just kayak/canoe fish from now on, but the boat is nice if you want to fish more areas that would take hours to get to by canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
    I thought it was fuel also, but I buy fresh gas the night before every trip. It's only a 3 gal tank and what ever I don't run out, I empty out into my lawn mower or a gas can. and it gets used up. I also add a couple of ounces of seafoam to every tank full, to absorb any moisture in the gas.
    The dealer told me the gas was good, just that the plugs had fouled out. They replaced them and it ran good the rest of the summer. I carry an extra set with me along with the basic tools in a drybox in case I have to change them while on the water again. I keep internal debating whether to sale the boat and just kayak/canoe fish from now on, but the boat is nice if you want to fish more areas that would take hours to get to by canoe.
    It sounds like you have the experienced boater boat kit. I would keep the motor for more fishing options. Glad it was just bad plugs with the motor. Thanks for the followup to clarify. I do not have that much experience with the four-strokes. $$$ But, I definitely like them.
    power

Hey Shawn,

I enjoyed reading about Mr. Evinrude. Great story.

Something similar to Gary's story happened to me a few years ago. Paula and I have a 20 hp Mercury 4 stroke. I was fishing with David Ezell, the first day out that Spring. The motor quit 2 miles from the ramp.

The fuel was brand new 100% in a clean tank. At home I pulled some fuel off the bottom of the tank with a baster and it was brown sludge. I had bought some bad gas. Changed the fuel filter and plugs, bought new fuel, and the problem was fixed.

I poured the bad fuel into a glass carboy used to make wine and let the impurities settle to the bottom. Then, I siphoned the good fuel off and poured it into my truck. Next, I poured the bad stuff into a muck bucket and let it evaporate. That was the greenest way I could think of to dispose of bad fuel. I told my dealer what I did and he said, "You are smarter than you look".

Byron

Default leeroysramblings site down

Quote Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
    Guys, I have referenced this website for years and I thought some of you might find it useful in tuning up or repairing your outboard boat motors.

Cite: Leroy's Ramblings http://www.leeroysramblings.com/Outb...0articles.html
    The site appears to be down. Anyone know if it has been moved?

Stewart Crane

Default leeroysramblings

leeroysramblings is back up. Suggest that you save any pages that interest you. There is some good info about anchoring in addition to the motor maintenance pages.

Quote Originally Posted by smctrout View Post
    leeroysramblings is back up. Suggest that you save any pages that interest you. There is some good info about anchoring in addition to the motor maintenance pages.
    Yup, that is a good idea! You can save pages by clicking the file tab on your browser and selecting save as webpage, etc. Be sure to test a few before saving a bunch.

The anchoring information on the site is very interesting for fast water and heavy currents.
    power