Thread: March 2016 Caney Fork reports?

Default March 2016 Caney Fork reports?

The water is off for bits of time finally. I have heard contradictory reports on fishing. One flyshop states it is fishing well upstream near the dam and another says very slow. I have heard two different sources say a recent electrofishing expedition showed low fish density.

Anyone been on the river recently and know the situation?

DrDan, both reports are correct depending on your definition of "good fishing" so let me explain a little more. Fishing is good if you find the fish (as long as you don't mind catching recent stockers). TWRA starts stocking for the year the first week of March and I believe stocks each week. Maybe someone else will chime in with more details on the stocking schedule. As of right now, if you find the fish, those stockers will be podded up and you can catch quite a few in a short time without moving.

I fished last Sunday afternoon and caught 8 fish at Happy Hollow, but the fish were not easy to find. Once located, I didn't need to move much. Five were stockers and the others were a couple of bluegill and one nicer holdover brown trout around 15-16 inches long.

After about an hour or hour and a half, I quit fishing at Happy Hollow and moved up nearer the dam. There, I got into a good pod of recently stocked rainbows plus a few holdovers from last fall. The freshly stocked rainbows were 9-11 inches and the holdovers were 12-13 inches. I stood in one spot catching fish after fish while most other anglers were catching very few fish.

Total fish count for the day was around 20-25 fish. My recommendation is that it is worth fishing if you are in the area or if it is your nearest option. However, know that it will be fishing better in another month or so once more stockings have taken place. There are some good holdovers in the river but they won't come easily most days.

Know that the water is stained and may be that way for several months. The high water this winter pushed all the clear water through the lake. Right now Center Hill Lake is stained throughout the whole lake and that is affecting water clarity below the dam.

I hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you have any specific questions you don't want to ask on here.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Thank you. I was hoping there would be more carry over fish. I remember a spring around 2000 (=/- a few years) where the water was on most of the spring and the fishing that year was spectacular with lots of large /fun fish.

Someone sent me this and said it was from caney fork. If it was from there I imagine it held itself over for years and years

Quote Originally Posted by DrDan View Post
    The water is off for bits of time finally. I have heard contradictory reports on fishing. One flyshop states it is fishing well upstream near the dam and another says very slow. I have heard two different sources say a recent electrofishing expedition showed low fish density.

Anyone been on the river recently and know the situation?
    I fished it 3 times during the week of the 13th-20th of March, and the first time, I was doing really well. I had got 3 near the dam, and I got a nice brown near Lancaster on the 14th after the thunderstorm passed through. I also missed a nice sized fish on that day. He spit the hook on a red *** softhackle, and then snapped me off on a size 6 black wooly. The other two days were slower. The 16th I caught 3, but it took about 2 hours to get the first. I fished it the 18th, and I only got a 13 inch shad, but I think the fishing was slow due to the cold front that was pushing through. It was mentioned earlier, but I do think that the Caney will start fishing better here in the next few weeks.

If I were going to fish it, I would start at the dam as soon as the generators are shut off, and fish that for about 2 hours, and then work my way down to either the bluffs, or drive to Lancaster or Happy Hollow and fish those. I also found Betty's Congo to be a good spot, and when the kayaks and canoes start coming, it's a good spot to avoid those people.

New 4 pound 14 ounce state record brook trout caught on April 1st. No it is not an April Fool joke. Caught right below the dam on bait. I believe the TWRA has now certified it.
    "Here fishy fishy."

Quote Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
    New 4 pound 14 ounce state record brook trout caught on April 1st. No it is not an April Fool joke. Caught right below the dam on bait. I believe the TWRA has now certified it.

Thanks Silvercreek. here is story and pic from Chattanooga online newspaper.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2016/4/2...-Northern.aspx
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."