Thread: Rock Bass Fishing...

Default Rock Bass Fishing...

Hello all, I'm new to fishing in the mountains and I was wondering are Rock Bass any good to fish for? They look a lot like Crappie to me, just darker. Crappie here are excellent to eat. I'm from MS, and the Enid & Grenada Lakes are full of Crappie. We always go to the mountains for vacation and while my wife is shopping I always go fishing. I bought a White River fly rod and reel and I'm itching to test it out on some Rock Bass. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Little River is full of rock bass, through Townsend and below. The lower end of town, from the new bridge upstream to a point is owned by the State. You can wade in there and catch them and smallmouth bass. There are other access points downstream to Walland. They are fun to catch but they don't fight like a smallmouth bass. They are eager to attack poppers, when the water warms some. I would use nymphs or wooly buggers right now. I don't remember ever eating one.

Byron

Default Dinner

They are yummy. If you can catch a mess of them, fry 'em up.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Begley View Post
    Little River is full of rock bass, through Townsend and below. The lower end of town, from the new bridge upstream to a point is owned by the State. You can wade in there and catch them and smallmouth bass. There are other access points downstream to Walland. They are fun to catch but they don't fight like a smallmouth bass. They are eager to attack poppers, when the water warms some. I would use nymphs or wooly buggers right now. I don't remember ever eating one.

Byron
    Quote Originally Posted by guthook View Post
    They are yummy. If you can catch a mess of them, fry 'em up.
    thanks guys, I'm looking at Townsend map now. I had heard from the guy at the Costa place up there that Cades Cove has a couple of good spots for rock bass.

Rockies are good to eat! Lower Little river is full of them like Byron said. Lower Townsend and Walland has a lot of wading access. I can't say I have ever caught any inside Cades Cove though. Downstream of Abrams creek falls during the summer maybe. They like slow moving warm water. They hit a popper very well during the summer, but sure give up quickly and feel like a wet sock being dragged through the water.

Lower abrams below the campground is full of them, and some very nice small mouth as well. I've always figured them more of a nousance than anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman View Post
    Rockies are good to eat! Lower Little river is full of them like Byron said. Lower Townsend and Walland has a lot of wading access. I can't say I have ever caught any inside Cades Cove though. Downstream of Abrams creek falls during the summer maybe. They like slow moving warm water. They hit a popper very well during the summer, but sure give up quickly and feel like a wet sock being dragged through the water.
    They look like Bluegill to me, thought they might be good!

Quote Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
    Lower abrams below the campground is full of them, and some very nice small mouth as well. I've always figured them more of a nousance than anything...

Awesome, my wife loves going out there so it would be good to do a little fishing while we are there.