Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wader question or opinion

Default Wader question or opinion

I got full chest waders but I am looking at some waist waders that wear like pants. Rarely do I wade chest deep anywhere. My thoughts are they would be easier and cooler. Has anyone got any experience with these? Please reply pros or cons before I waist 229 dollars
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

I use them and love them. By the time you need chest waders, your vest is dragging in the water.
    "Here fishy fishy."

Your question has perfect timing, here is my two cents:

"I hate waders", let me clarify if not sure let me repeat "I hate waders", that being said over the years I have acquired multiple pairs. I have a thicker pair (no.. not neoprene) for winter fishing, a couple of lighter pairs for summer, tailwater, park fishing, and small stream outings. The reality is the same.. I hate wearing a fishing Sumo suit no matter which one it is and like you had contemplated waist waders. Well I bit the bullet in January and bought a pair and so far wonder what took me so long to do it other than being notoriously cheap!

I had realized over time rarely am I in water that requires the height of a full set of waders, in the park I wet-wade as soon as I comfortably can, and in tailwaters in the warmer months I roll any pair down to the waist so I can breathe. the downside it still makes you have a roll of latex around the middle!

I have been using mine a couple of months and so far I love them, if you use a fanny pack, sling, or chest pack with a waist strap you have to unlock those to get to the small pocket in the waist highs. However if you are wearing one of those other than maybe putting car keys in the waders interior pocket put your stuff in pack you are wearing.. easier than undoing wading belt anyway. I can't wait to try them out west this year, a lot of times depending on snowmelt runoff you are at 10,000+ feet in high alpine streams in blazing sun at 70+plus degrees.

Final Notes:
    Like all things in life you can pay high or low, from $100 to $300 dollars, just keep in mind how often will you use them and does comfort outweigh cost. In my case I went middle of the road with the mindset, if I like them I will get a better pair next time, your choice!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Great replies thanks guys. I am looking at the 229.00 set of Simms Any thoughts on them?

I bought the Chota Bob Clouser Series South Fork Waders from LRO last fall and they have been great so far. With their harness design you can wear them as either a chest or waist wader.

The Orvis Silver Sonic Convertibles are pretty nice. However; they do not equate quite to pants size in the down mode. They are very breathable and more roomy compared to my Simms Pants.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Dig this guys. Went to fly shop today to look at waist waders and before I could buy them the clerk talked me out of the sell. He started telling me how to just pull down my top on my chest waders and secure them around my waist. Literally threw a sale out the window. I still think I will call Daniel at LRO and see about a set

I was going to mention that also, any chest wader can be folded down and strapped around the waist. Still doesn't fit quite right but it works

Waist waders are a luxury if you can do it, I can tell you it is night and day compared to rolling full waders down like a pair of hose. I think it is the weight difference as much as the extra bulk at the waist. If extra expense is a criteria roll down the full waders and buy a fan! If comfort is the driver than have at it and bite the bullet and buy waist-highs. MHO!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Bigsir I love the way you think I agree hundred percent with you