Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass

Default Fiberglass

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good fiberglass rod for small mountain (jakes creek or green briar) fishing? I'm looking at a Thomas and Thomas heirloom or Scott f2. Any recommendations or opinion on either of these two rods?
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

The Orvis Superfine Glass rods are great. They aren't too slow but just right for the small streams. They are made in Vermont. We have a 7'6" at the Shop as a loaner for people to try. It casts great and is even more fun to catch a trout on.

Another rid I looked at today was the Remington butterstick and the echo glass rod. I have heard lots of great stuff on the echos. Any thoughts there?

The Orvis superfine glass is a great rod. I really like the 7.5 ft 4wt. I fish a dry/dropper rig with it in the park and size 8-6 poppers and stealth bombers for bream and small bass. It is very smooth casting.
    I have cast the Echo and felt it was way too whippy for me. The tip has a lot of bounce. I would consider it a strickly dry fly rod for short cast.
    I have owned a Scott glass 2 wt in the past and it was a very good rod, just to small for what I wanted. I haven't cast the newer ones.

I looked at the Orvis and Reddington rods, and ended up going with a 6'9 Echo Glass 3wt. This has become my absolute favorite rod for small steams and bluegill.

I hear a lot of good stuff on the orvis glass no doubt. My local orvis store rep said he liked the 8' 5wt. I may have to test cast one again. I am a huge Scott fan and keep looking over there. I would mainly use this in the mountains so is there any suggestions on length and wt in glass. In graphite I use a 9' 4wt or 9'6" 5wt

I like 7 1/2-8' in the mountains, long enough to get great drifts & just stick in a hole where you can't really cast to it. I've used 3 wts for years, seriously considering the 805 SF Orvis glass.
    I talked to one fella that said the Orvis ran circles around the other's, just one opinion, i have always respected his though.
    Scott makes some great rods, wouldn't mind casting one of those myself.

Grumpy

Look on Ebay for some of the refurbished Shakespeare "Wonderods". I have several of these and they cast fabulous. Lots of fun!

If going new; I would try the Orvis glass rods. They are very nice and have excellent customer service if you should need them.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Back around Christmas, Orvis had 20% off their glass rod packages. On top of that, free shipping. Couldn't pass it up and got the 7'6" 4 wt. I have used it in the park several times and Tellico as well. Currently using it on the Davidson this weekend. Great rod and very fun!

Sounds like a lot of good reports on orvis rods I definitely like their price point. I may need to pay a closer look at them. I love Scott's but really I don't know if I want to pay that much for another rod lol.