Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brook Trout color ?

Default Brook Trout color ?

Can anyone give any insight on why the Brook trout in Hazel creek Last May did not have the same beautiful colors that im used to seeing in other streams in the park. They resembled stocked brook trout.?? Thanks

Different watersheds can vary some and also time of year can vary. They are most colorful in Fall.
    Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.

I think a lot of it has to do with how much sunlight the stream gets as well.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by brooktrout44 View Post
    Can anyone give any insight on why the Brook trout in Hazel creek Last May did not have the same beautiful colors that im used to seeing in other streams in the park. They resembled stocked brook trout.?? Thanks
    Very good observation

I was asking Steve Moore about the Hybrids and Northern Stockers and which streams still had some. He said that Hazel had plenty of the stocked strain, and because of its large stream size, they weren't able to remove them like in tons of smaller streams in the park.

So I believe you already knew the answer to your question
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Default old smoky fishing

To my knowledge there has been no stocking of brook or any other trout in the Hazel Creek watershed for decades. It is true many streams with brook or as we call it here in NC "specs" do have varying degrees or coloration. I have fished this watershed over 50 years and have not observed any degree of off color trout being specs or brown or rainbow. Higher elevation streams will offer trout with more coloration that is for sure. Travel higher into the Hazel watershed you will see that to be true.

May not have been any stocking but there is nothing to stop them from swimming up stream for quite a ways in many places. I have caught stocked brook trout in many park streams. Some miles and miles above Fontana lake or the reservation. I have caught several of them in the Bradley Fork, Deep Creek, Noland, 20 mile, etc that I'm pretty sure were Northern invaders. I'm not saying these fish were per say. I'm just saying it's not unusual to catch stocked brook trout in the park.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Default brooktrout color

Thank you for replies.....The brookies were all caught around Calhoun campsite ( +/- a mile or so)..I was really disappointed because i took a friend who was new to fly fishing and all i did for months was talk about how beautiful the Brook trout were. We easily caught over 20 ( big and small) and all were the same color ( stocked bland color) .. very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by brooktrout44 View Post
    Thank you for replies.....The brookies were all caught around Calhoun campsite ( +/- a mile or so)..I was really disappointed because i took a friend who was new to fly fishing and all i did for months was talk about how beautiful the Brook trout were. We easily caught over 20 ( big and small) and all were the same color ( stocked bland color) .. very sad.
    I really don't think it has a lot to do with stocked vs wild fish.
    I've seen some stocked brook trout that had very vibrant colors.
    I think it has a lot to do with the time of year, what they've been eating, and the sunlight that the stream gets.

I'm not sure if this will help but here it goes....

http://www.wildtrout.org/content/trout-facts
    To Fish or not to Fish? That's a stupid question.

http://www.tu.org/

Could they have been lake run? That would explain the color.
    Wild troutin, blue linin, fly flingin, camo wearin, redneckin elitist.