Thread: Little River Flow Rates

Default Little River Flow Rates

Wife and I will be in Townsend this week to fly fish. I would like to have a idea of the river fishable flow rates. Judging by the forecast, I don't think it will be a problem this coming week, but just want to be safe. Right now I am seeing snow forecast for Monday night/Tuesday morning. Really?

Byron says they do not take beginner fly fishing students on Little River if the flow is in excess of 2.5. Maybe that will give you a reference point. Check out Byron's daily fishing report to stay updated
    "Here fishy fishy."

Talking

Here is my opinion - With all things being relative

1.3 usual summertime low base level
    1.6 good Summer Low
    2.0 Not really running for a kayak but you can scrape down - Pay attention when it is above here
    2.5 Good low for kayaking, could possible find a few places to fish, but better off going up a split in the stream or two. Byrons newby cut off level
    3.0 Solid flow - I tend to kayak Elkmont instead of sinks at this level. I don't fish at this level or higher (more fun to kayak). Ian's book says this is highest he will fish Little River.

Hope that helps
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Quote Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
    Byron says they do not take beginner fly fishing students on Little River if the flow is in excess of 2.5. Maybe that will give you a reference point. Check out Byron's daily fishing report to stay updated
    I've heard many mention of this "Byron fishing report." Where can I access this? It sounds like an excellent resource for trip planning. Thanks in advance Silvercreek
    BRAFF

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post

1.6 good Summer Low
    2.0 Not really running for a kayak but you can scrape down - Pay attention when it is above here
    2.5 Good low for kayaking, could possible find a few places to fish, but better off going up a split in the stream or two. Byrons newby cut off level
    3.0 Solid flow - I tend to kayak Elkmont instead of sinks at this level. I don't fish at this level or higher (more fun to kayak). Ian's book says this is highest he will fish Little River.

Hope that helps
    Interesting duckypaddler. What class Rapids are you running at that level? Are they manageable for a novice river rat?
    BRAFF

Quote Originally Posted by BRAFF View Post
    I've heard many mention of this "Byron fishing report." Where can I access this? It sounds like an excellent resource for trip planning. Thanks in advance Silvercreek

At the very top of this page where it says fishing report.

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    At the very top of this page where it says fishing report.
    What he said.
    "Here fishy fishy."

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post

1.6 good Summer Low

Hope that helps
    I aghree i would not wade 3 or higher.. if you fish use lead to get them nymphs down.
    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BRAFF View Post
    Interesting duckypaddler. What class Rapids are you running at that level? Are they manageable for a novice river rat?
    Mostly Class 3 with 2 Class 4's (elbow 2.4 miles up from Wye, and Sinks waterfall)

Usually one would start out on below elbow to Wye (Class 2)
    Move up to Elkmont Class 2-3 but very continuous with a solid half mile of 3+ once you go under bridge.
    Then work up to Sinks. Screaming meanies (100 yard above sinks waterfall) to Elbow is called the Sinks. Most start out putting in below sinks waterfall and taking out above Elbow.
    Lower Abrams is Class 1-2 with one 3- that is manageable (if proper gear) for a novice river rat
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com