Thread: Yellow Bass Help

Default Yellow Bass Help

Hey guys,

I live up near Johnson City and I'd really like to cross yellow bass off my lifelist this year. We don't have them this far east so I've got to come to Knoxville. I've read some posts about them getting really concentrated below Ft. Loudoun and Melton Hill dams this time of year. Last week I made a trip and fished around both of these tailwaters....and got skunked. Was I just too early this year? Would mid-April be a safer bet?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalpotential View Post
    Hey guys,

I live up near Johnson City and I'd really like to cross yellow bass off my lifelist this year. We don't have them this far east so I've got to come to Knoxville. I've read some posts about them getting really concentrated below Ft. Loudoun and Melton Hill dams this time of year. Last week I made a trip and fished around both of these tailwaters....and got skunked. Was I just too early this year? Would mid-April be a safer bet?

Thanks!
    Bunch of them swimming up little river in Rockford right now. I will be getting some of them tomorrow. Let me know if you make it this way. When you were fishing below Melton and Loudoun dams did you see any other bank fishermen catching? When they are there thick everyone will be catching white bass but the yellows are always with them

Lots of yellow bass being caught below chickamauga dam.I know it's a long way from where
    you are , but if you get down this way ,it's a good place to fish

Thanks for the info guys,

I went during the week (Tuesday) and only saw a couple other people fishing, but no one seemed to be catching anything. I heard from a couple people that white bass were being caught further down river.

I also drove the long way home through Rockford, I had read a little about that area as well. Looked like you need to bring a boat to fish that area very well, I did found an area a mile or so down from that wier dam where you could fish from shore. I stopped and made a few casts near a railroad bridge but never got a bite. By that time my patience was wearing thin so I packed up and headed north. If the fish are there good now, I can bring a jon boat back with me.

Well I only found a few white bass in Rockford today, not sure but I'm guessing the yellow bass are still a bit further downstream than that railroad bridge. Water temp was 58 there today, it was 62 a couple weeks ago and they were biting a bit better for me anyway. on the other hand largemouth were cooperative all day

Thanks for the report sir! Hopefully it warms up next week and gets them moving.

Just curious if anyone had any new reports of any yellows? I almost drove down today but that cold snap made me think twice. Thanks!