Thread: American Shad

Default American Shad

I've always wanted to go down to the Rappahannock or the Roanoke and try the shad run, years ago, when I was stationed at Camp Lejeune they used to do a Shad planking out at Snead's Ferry toward Topsail. This is just an interesting article I saw this morning on the plight of the American Shad.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fight-bri...100838245.html
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

I've heard stories of the famous shad runs in the Chesapeake Bay, VA. when I was stationed in Norfolk. I had not heard of the planking though. It sounds like something they would do at the O-clubs on base. The O's like to have fancy parties
    I spent many summer vacations at Surf city and Topsail growing up. The yearly trip over to Sneads Ferry for fresh flounder, grouper, oysters and lots of shrimp right off the dock as the boats came in every afternoon. We always came home with a couple of large coolers in the trunk full of it.
    A lot of my Papaw's property is now part of Camp Lejeune.

That's pretty neat Gary, never knew. I lived in Surf City, rented a house right on the beach there near the Baptist church when everything was still Mom and Pop, no commercial businesses back then at all. I'd drive every day through Snead's Ferry and the back gate at the base up to French Creek where our shops were.

The plankings are still a thing now, they tack the shad on cedar planks and stand them teepee style around a small, smoky fire and roast and smoke them. It is delicious! I like in this article where the guy said his grandmother was paid at the mills in Shad roe!

I bought some Shad darts years ago for my 5-6 wt. rod, I think I got them from Byron, but I've yet to make it down there for a run to try them. Maybe one day, seems Spring is always my busiest time of year.

My mother is from Jacksonville/Holly Ridge area. My dad met her back in the 50's on a blind date when one of his Marine buddies fixed them up. I miss going down to Surf City and catching spots and small sharks off the old pier and going clamming out in the bay. I hated it when the hurricane took it out years ago.
    My cousin and I would ride bicycles around the old WW2 Camp Davis in Holly Ridge and watch the Marines doing helo training on some of the old abandoned airfields behind their house.

I remember that, used to go to Barnacle Bill's pier there. Hurricane Fran came through around '98 (??) and Tina and I went back down there and helped some of my old friends clean up and dig out. That place was a mess! I haven't been in a long time but I hear it's completely different now with all the Wings and fast food places.