Thread: TU Cataloochee Camp-out April 7th-10th, 2016

Default TU Cataloochee Camp-out April 7th-10th, 2016

This past weekend was our annual TU Cataloochee campout hosted by the Little River TU chapter and joined by the Great Smoky Mountain TU chapter members. We are now in year 3 or 4 with two campouts scheduled each year, one in the spring and the other in early fall. As usual Cataloochee delivered with an extra helping of unbelievable wind on Thursday and Friday, and periods of rain, sleet and snow; sometimes all at the same time! The nighttime lows averaged around 18-22 degrees and water temperatures on average in the mornings from 41-44 degrees, in a word it was great! The mantra I quoted when people asked if we were still going and all weekend was simple: "No Guts, No Glories and no stories to tell if you stay at home!" Maybe that's why God invented Florida for everybody else.

If you starve at our campout it's your fault, from dinners of chicken and kielbasa with green peppers & onions, chili, and breakfasts with eggs, ham, bacon, and biscuits, just to name a few we are experts at high carb, and plenty of fat to keep that body going. We put on weight when we camp and worry about the doctor later! People with dried food pouches are relegated to the far side of the fire at these gatherings.

Surprisingly, once we hit midday on Friday & Saturday the days were beautiful and water temps sometimes hitting 49-50 degrees. The hatches ranged from large sulphurs, some thin winter stones, and caddis of varying degrees. The water flow was perfect and crystal clear all weekend. I cannot emphasize what the stars look like at night in the clear cold air, with almost zero light pollution it is the highlight of all our trips. Sunday as we tore down was also beautiful as the morning warmed up and was definitely a plus from last year's drive out in the sleet and snow.

Fishing in these conditions of course was hard but don't ask "Dances with Trout" he had a great weekend with a daily of 6-10 and a Cataloochee grand slam one day. I like fishing with him, I always learn a lot just watching however humble it makes you. On a side note after fishing with him you question inviting him the next time!

Those who came Friday morning were greeted by this at the top

How close can I get to the water? Check it out, tarps and tie downs were the order of the day, everyday! 3 days to burn that log!

How do you beat the cold at night, the dining canopies covered with a double tarp and side tarps strapped with zip ties. Bottoms up to the inventor of the zip tie!

The cooking station, yes even stake downed this canopy took flight one morning

Day 3-The real Motley Crew at teardown

"Dances with Trout" voted to suspend archery next year!

What wind? Matt's from Ohio he can handle it can't he?

Obligatory fish shot. DWT in crystal clear 49 degree water.

Obligatory elk shot. Do they tap dance, sing or roller skate..No they just graze and graze and graze while tourist wait for something to happen!

So I am coming to my favorite go to hole each year, when....

My favorite Cataloochee pic of all time.... no.. no you finish... I'll just cower here in the woods and wait!

Thanks to our valiant group who went, you definitely got guts..glories.. and stories to tell!

Sidenote: If you went and have pics throw them on here!
    Last edited by bigsur; 04-12-2016 at 03:18 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Default Cataloochee Trip

Was a great trip! Bunch of great guys and the fishing was not too bad either. Here are a few of my pics. Unfortunately I dropped my camera in the water after catching the brook trout.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]ii

Bigsur on Fire Patrol

[IMG][/IMG]

The Firewood Vendors made bank on us this weekend

[IMG][/IMG]

Bigsur upsteam. This little run produced my slam and 6 more when we got a good hatch on Saturday afternoon

Last edited by Dances with Trout; 04-12-2016 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling

DWT,
    Here is a closer shot of one of your fish, I think this is from Friday's run, not sure.

Thanks for the shot of me by fire, probably not a good promo for future trips! That one may scare off warm weather prospects for the next camp-out, looks like a para-military guerrilla camp in the Balkans!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."