Thread: Hi from wales

Thumbs up Hi from wales

Hi all,

I'm Matt from South Wales in the UK. I fish the rivers for Sewin (sea trout), brownies and grayling.

I'll be in Gatlingburg in July so will be doing some fishing in the area.

Any tips please.

Cheers

Matt

Hello to South Wales UK.

Best bet is to go to the local Fly Shop and ask for advice. I believe there is only one in the town of Gatlingburg. Its called, The Smoky Mountain Angler.

Being the Little River Outfitters forum best bet is to ask them at http://littleriveroutfitters.com/ great bunch of folks.

Good luck

Mark
    To Fish or not to Fish? That's a stupid question.

http://www.tu.org/

Welcome to the forums Matt!!!!!

To add, there actually is an Orvis store in Sevierville, go and ask for Jake, Chris, Vick, or Dave. It's about a 10-15 minute drive from Gatlinburg. Smoky Mountain Angler is in Gatlinburg proper, on Hwy 321, it's about 2 minute drive from downtown. Ask for Chad Fouts, shop manager, or Chad Williams, head guide. If you make it to LRO, which is about a 30-45 drive from Gatlinburg, depending on traffic, ask for Dan Munger or Daniel Drake, could you have a better last name as a fly fisherman? Any of the guys I have listed will get you started in the right direction.

My 2 cents of advice though, are to keep low, dress in muted colors , and keep your casts short and close. If your accustome to euro-nymphing, you should do very well. It and "high sticking", as we call it, are very similar. Over on y'alls side of the pond, from what I read, distance is key. Here in these hills though, stealth is of most importants. Good luck and tight lines.
    Last edited by Topher2003; 04-15-2016 at 08:11 PM.
    I am a fisherman for life. I will always be a fisherman. Itís not something I do, it is who I am. Fishing is not an escape. It is where I belong, where Iím supposed to be. It is not a place, but a lifelong journey. It is a passage my father showed me, and I will show others. When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will fish together.

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome, My family and I travel to the smokies most years in either the summer or winter. Prefer the winter (Holidays time) but dont get the chance to fish.

New Zealand style fishing is the method I normal use, basically a large klinkhammer with a tiny bug below that fly. Works very well in the UK.

Any recommendations for flies as I tie all my own and have done for over 20 years.

Cheers again

Matt

Your nymphs should work fine.

I almost always use an Elk Hair Caddis for a dry and/or a Greenie Weenie.

As others have said, a stealthy approach and presentation are much more important than the fly.

Howdy,
    Neversink caddis, green weenie, bead head pheasant tail nymph, black ant... would be my recommendations as far as patterns for summer. size 16
    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris