Thread: Raven Fork

Default Raven Fork

Any thought on sites 47 or 44. Is there parking at the trailheads? Thanks for the info.

47 is right on the creek. I understand, but have never done it, that there is an old manway from 44 down to the three forks. Parking available at the trailheads.

Talking

44 is still a long way from Raven Fork. 33 down to right Fork, then over a mile till 3 forks. Manway to right Fork is good. There is also Breakneck Ridge manway that goes straight to 3 Forks, but most people (even with solid experience) seem to always get lost.

47 is much better access for fishing Sucks the huge Basswood that used to shade the sight is gone.

Hope that helps
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

That far up, brookies only or a grab bag of all species?

At #47 you are still looking at a lot of rainbows with the brookies, probably something like a 50/50 mix in my experience. The hike in is tougher than your normal 3 mile hike. Fishing around the campsite is decent but not as great as you might think. Plenty of people hike in to that site and the water in relatively close proximity to camp gets fished a fair amount. That said, you should still catch plenty of trout there.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Flyguys-

I've my eye on that piece of water as well. Wanted to head up there a few weeks ago but my 8 year old nephew tagged along and I know that it's rough country up that way. Not something I personally would be doing solo. If you are looking for someone to head up there with I'm interested.

New to this board and don't know if I have PM privileges, but you can reach me at mattdelellis@gmail.com.

On a side note, I had heard that Big Pool at Three Forks is part of the Cherokee creation legend, but in my limited searching could not find any details. Anyone have insight or a source to find out more?

Panthertown, thanks for the invite! It looks like I will not be getting out there un til sometime in the fall. If the invite still stands I might just take you up on that. I appreciate it.

Flyguys, a Raven Fork trip in Fall sounds great! I've got a couple of weddings to attend in October and November but I'm sure we can work something out. Let me know when you start formulating a plan.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PanthertownPlungePooler View Post

On a side note, I had heard that Big Pool at Three Forks is part of the Cherokee creation legend, but in my limited searching could not find any details. Anyone have insight or a source to find out more?
    I remember it's where the Raven crashed into the earth and formed 3 forks. Don't have any sources handy, but if you google Cherokee creation you should find it. If you do go there, watch out for the "little people" as well. They are mischievous and could have been the ones that stole flyman's fly box
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com