Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clinch on Friday

Default Clinch on Friday

With the generators off until 2 pm on Friday, I decided to wade at Millers Island, Started fishing around 9am with a size 18 stripper midge. I had numerous strikes, shook off a lot of small trout, and landed 6 nice rainbows. Quite rapidly, around 11 am, the strikes ceased. As the water was very clear with bright sunlight and I could see lots of fish, I lengthened my casts to 35-50 ft and focused on getting a good clean drift. When that did not work I changed flies to a bead-head PT and then a split case. Still no action. I was going to try a soft hackle but didn't put any in my fly box. Any suggestions about fishing the Clinch under these demanding technical conditions?

Similar thing happened to me last time at Millers about a month ago. Fortunately I had a couple of soft hackles and cleaned up once I switched over... not that that's always the case.

Past few trips have been to the Jail/Llewelyn's island where I've really struggled... especially for this time of year. This Spring has easily been the most difficult fishing since I started fishing the Clinch.

That is the typical summer pattern for trout on the Clinch from my experience. Once it hits mid-day and the fog burns off; you have to buckle down and focus on clean presentation, small knots, small indicators, etc. Also; I tend to throw most of my casts downstream and utilize the indicator as a lever and raising my fly up-slowly releasing line to lengthen the drift without bumping the line too much.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

My last couple morning trips have been dead for me until the fog burns off. Haha then I start catching fish. Yesterday morning was at a standstill for a couple hours till the fog cleared. May have had something to do with the water level and area I was fishing also. Or my fly choice.... Or me.

Update - Fished the Clinch again yesterday (Tuesday June 14). Used Shawn's suggested fishing technique with a size 18 Sulphur soft hackle and hooked up with about 15 fish in 2 hours, including my first Brown on the Clinch. The pattern I tied was from the South Holston River Fly shop - Episode 12 Sulphur Soft Hackle - http://southholstonriverflyshop.com/videos.html. It uses yellow d-rib over orange thread with a sparse partridge hackle.

Thanks for the advice.

Madison-"Small knots" you gotta be kidding me right now! Smaller knots?? I have heard it all now

Quote Originally Posted by 3wt View Post
    Madison-"Small knots" you gotta be kidding me right now! Smaller knots?? I have heard it all now
    Actually, this is pretty significant when you fishing #18 or smaller midges. I have seen people tie improved clinch knots with 6-7 turns on small flies. Your knot can actually be larger than the fly and cause it to not present well by curling it up. I came up with a new knot about a year ago for small flies that I call the "Madison Knot" that works perfect for this type of need. It is a jam knot and super easy and small. I was saving this for an article this fall, but, I may try and put up a simple sketch to share it for those interested. In my opinion; it is probably the easiest and simplest knot you could ever tie.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    power

I've caught a million clinch fish over the years fishing tiny stuff in the dead of summer crystal clear water on a clinch knot. Never really worried much about it, and focused solely on presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    I've caught a million clinch fish over the years fishing tiny stuff in the dead of summer crystal clear water on a clinch knot. Never really worried much about it, and focused solely on presentation.
    Jim, the knot idea is a refinement I utilize while fishing slack water, crystal clear conditions, and slow drifts. I think it is something extra that helps sell the fly without distracting the fish. I find it amazing how often trout follow a fly and check it out without taking the fly. Also; how easily they spook with large indicators.

Now; fishing from my boat, deeper water, etc.-I believe this is less as an impact on the trout. I like to do subtle and easy things like this to help increase my take chances. Especially if they are easy and not a burden.
    power

Default Leader seems to matter as well

I have also been experimenting with leaders and have found my best success comes with a 12 foot 5x leader with a 3 foot 6x fluorocarbon tippet attached.