Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dropper length?

Question dropper length?

How long do you tie your dropper? I've never really tried fishing with droppers but I'm thinking I need to be. I seem to tangle up easy enough with one hook, I can only imagine what a mess I will make with 2. But on average how long do you tie them for fishing small streams?

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    A man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.
    A man called Boomer

There are plenty of people here that know way more than me on this subject, but it really depends on the water depth. So I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all approach. Maybe someone will be along to clarify better. I think there's a generic formula to calculate dropper depth based on water depth.

I aim for about 16". But, sometimes that will vary to around 24" or so. In the Smokies, less than 12" is illegal. Just remember that.

Default dropper flies

fished smokeys nearly 60 years now, was not aware of the less than 12" dropper length, thanks for that tip.

Quote Originally Posted by jwj1951 View Post
    fished smokeys nearly 60 years now, was not aware of the less than 12" dropper length, thanks for that tip.
    That makes 2 of us. Only been 8 years for me, but I had no clue. I doubt I've I've had one shorter than 12" though, that's pretty short.

The minimum length is not posted in the Parks General Fishing regs. A member here dug it up in the CFR regs and posted it. Now how many rangers know the length is another question, but it is wise to be safe and have it at least pass 12".

I usually do 12" but sometimes longer if deeper holes. I didn't know it couldn't be less than 12" either. I wonder why that would even be a rule. I mean a dropper 4" under your dry won't really give you some kind of unfair advantage. It probably just won't work much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    The minimum length is not posted in the Parks General Fishing regs. A member here dug it up in the CFR regs and posted it. Now how many rangers know the length is another question, but it is wise to be safe and have it at least pass 12".
    The minimum length is 12 inches and is well hidden in the small print of the park's regulations. Last winter I was fishing up above Metcalf bottoms when I was approached by a park ranger for a fishing license check. He was a pretty nice guy and we got to talking about fishing. I played dumb and asked him if there was a minimum length and he said no there was not.. So yes not all of the rangers are aware of this regulaton.
    As far as length, it depends. When the water is low or I am fishing shallow faster water I will go with 12 - 18 inches. In deeper water I will go with about 24 inches (roughly)
    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris

Default Two Nymph Rig

How does the 12" rule apply to a two nymph rig where you tie on a tippet with a blood knot with a long tag and tie one nymph to the tippet end and the other to the tag? The flies may or may not be 12 inches apart during the drift. It just seems like these types of regs are made by people who have never fished with a fly rod.

Default Dropper Length

perhaps it is to reduce the risk of a missed hook set on the top fly and subsequent foul hook of the fish by the bottom fly.