Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Largest brook trout?

Default Largest brook trout?

I am curious what are some of the biggest brook trout you guys have caught in the park? Please also post the pics if you have them? I'm really curious to see what sorts of experiences other have had.

These are my three biggest, from very different areas in the same stream and years apart. Could be the same fish, possibly.

The biggest I have caught in the Park were about 9", taped. No pics though.

I have had on at least a couple that would pushed that. One even broke the hook, not the fly off, the hook. Best I could tell, he was 10-12". But that was not to hand.

I can assure you it's not the same fish you got, but those are all on the very top end size wise. Great brookies, i hope to land one that size one day. When I worked with Matt and Steve we shocked nearly all of the brook trout waters in the entire gsmnp and the biggest one we shocked was 11". Also a brook trout in gsmnp usually lives 3 years maximum, 4 yrs would be an outlier. Year one they are tiny and they grow a good bit every year but the reason they die out is because they can't get enough bugs to maintain body weight. That's why I'm thinking you didn't catch the same one 4 years down the road. Even more impressive to catch several of that size anyway

My favorite fish of the GSMNP. These are my largest 4 Brook trout from over the years. Every one was on a para adams dry fly and more than an hour hike from the truck and from two different streams.

All these are from the TN side.
    fall 2015

spring 2015

many years ago,

12-inches taped. Circa 2001 or so. From a beaver pond that once existed just off to the side of a North Carolina side stream. Just upstream from where the road crossed (and left) the fork ar a then-lower-water-crossing (now a bridge). No marked trail upstream from there.

Guys......those are some gorgeous brookies! Best for me was 8.5" my second year with a fly rod, caught it right at a major trail head, most bypass that spot I'm sure.

EHC......That's some interesting info, had never thought much about it, makes since though. Makes me wonder just how big they were before the park was logged.

This is an awesome thread going! Below are a couple of mine. I didn't tape any of them but they all had some shoulders to them. The first one was taken in a back country creek. The other two were taken on the same day in the same creek.

I hope we can keep this thread going. Thanks to those who have posted. I'm sure there's some people with more.

On a side note, did I miss a forum falling out or something or is it just slower than normal around here?

Guessing around 9"-9.5", but i've never actually put a measuring tape beside a fish in the park, so who knows.

I've fished the park for 50+ years. I can count on one hand the number of brook trout I have caught or seen caught that were and honest 12". The population is better now than any time I can remember. I honestly believe that we might have some larger ones if we would creel a few from the most heavily populated waters There is only so much bio mass to support fish in these waters. It's always a delicate balance between lots of fish and having fewer but larger fish. When you see fish with skinny bodies and lager than normal heads that is usually a dead give away of overpopulation.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali