Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clinch sulfers

Default clinch sulfers

Was just wondering what the sulfer situation looks like now on the clinch. ..? Are they still coming off pretty regularly every day or is it spotty at best? It seems some years or lasts lost than others, and I haven't been to the clinch in over a month and a half. .. any info is greatly appriciate !!

Quote Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
    Was just wondering what the sulfer situation looks like now on the clinch. ..? Are they still coming off pretty regularly every day or is it spotty at best? It seems some years or lasts lost than others, and I haven't been to the clinch in over a month and a half. .. any info is greatly appriciate !!
    When I fished the Clinch several times in the last 2 weeks, there was no hatches of sulfurs before I quit at around 1 PM.

The sulphurs are spotty and brief at best right now. Friend of mine fished the jail last Thursday and saw none. We floated the river on Saturday and had a decent hatch for about two hours at best. Fish were willing, it just doesn't last long.

More boats and other floating devices than flies on most one generator days and weakest hatches in years IMO, and I have fished there a good bit. Wade a good bit of the river regularly and have seen virtually no hatches 90 % of the days while wading. Hard to believe how weak it is considering the strong hatches of last two years. Many of the larger slot fish are showing a lot of thinness too, perhaps partially due to the sulphur issues. Friend who checks a lot of fish guts at ramps etc says he is seeing virtually no sulphur nymphs in guts this year; last year at this time he found guts crammed with ephemerella nymphs regularly-- and one had over 400 nymphs in it . Thats a pretty good indicator of current year situation.

There were some better sulphur hatches at dark in April on the low water patterns then, as noted in another post. They petered out pretty quick though.

Joe, I agree with you on the "more floating craft than insects ". Saturday had quite the aluminum and fiberglass hatch below Peach Orchard. I too, am mystified by the relative absence of the sulphurs. Have had the discussion with fishing partners on the relation of winter flows and the following year's hatch. Lot's of speculation. We have noticed too that the average size of our fish have been smaller. Still seeing some good fish though. I know we will float again in the next few days and try again.

The Clinch is in trouble at the moment in my opinion. Fish health is poor relative to the last few years, the sulphurs are gone which is alarming, and something is negatively impacting the fishery.

Until this year the trajectory of the fishery was heading towards a place where it's never been. Unbelievable fish numbers/quality, massive hatches with long duration, and a healthy lush riverbed.

Suddenly all of that has been erased. I cannot put my finger on any causes or reasons why this would all come at once. Flows have been essentially the same for the last 5 years with seasonal highs/lows. Sediment levels are normal and water temps as always are ideal.

I do think fish recruitment is taking a hit from stripers, cormorants, and poor fish handling by anglers (this one in particular is a serious problem that's easily solved).

The bugs is baffling, especially after the 4 month long super hatch of the last two years.

Normally I can up with a bs theory or two that makes sense, but I'm left scratching my head

The bronze colored fish above the dam are doing excellent........... They don't require any government assistance

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    The bronze colored fish above the dam are doing excellent........... They don't require any government assistance
    They're doing excellent everywhere they inhabit

imagine if the dam was never built? Untold miles of bronze back water

Maybe we could place blame on the martins and swallows for the sulphurs disappearance. What bugs do come off can't get 12" off the water before they're snatched up. Lol

In all seriousness though their vanishing act has me stumped. Going from seeing tons of nymphs in the grass and whatnot early in the spring, to not seeing anything in comparison to that now is scary to say the least.

Sights like this picture were common on the lower end up to millers this spring. And even earlier in the year I saw plenty of bugs.

Now my knowledge of the history of them in the river isn't the best and my years spent fishing there isn't a drop in the bucket to most, but I was under the impression they were not as prevalent back in the day as compare to what Waterwolf said as "super hatches" in the last couple years.

What could make their population increase and decline like they have? Too much water at the wrong times or what?

Possibly just cyclical variation. White bass used to have good years and bad years but the last 3-4 have been phenomenal