Thread: Q: Holston (Below Cherokee) Float Options

Question Q: Holston (Below Cherokee) Float Options

I've floated the French Broad smallmouth fishing a couple of times this year around the Seven Islands area - the action has been really hit or miss - not nearly as good as last year. That's got me thinking about floating the Holston again. I took a trip with Josh Pfeiffer last year on the Holston and it was amazing (sure - most of the that was Josh, but still...)

From what I understand, the options for public access (i.e. boat ramps) above Asheville Hwy. (Hwys 70/11E) is limited - even more than in the past - due to the closure of the Indian Cave ramp. I've even heard a few times that the Clift Road ramp is either closed, unusable due to its condition or a likely spot to get your vehicle damaged or towed. (does anyone know the current status?)

I'd like to do maybe a 6-9 hour smallmouth trip soon. My boat is a Towee Rivermaster that does pretty well in shallow water - although I'm still dreaming about a jet outboard for it.

Any ideas for a good put-in and take-out points?

Thanks!

Todd Baker (technowannabe)

Quote Originally Posted by technowannabe View Post
    I've floated the French Broad smallmouth fishing a couple of times this year around the Seven Islands area - the action has been really hit or miss - not nearly as good as last year. That's got me thinking about floating the Holston again. I took a trip with Josh Pfeiffer last year on the Holston and it was amazing (sure - most of the that was Josh, but still...)

From what I understand, the options for public access (i.e. boat ramps) above Asheville Hwy. (Hwys 70/11E) is limited - even more than in the past - due to the closure of the Indian Cave ramp. I've even heard a few times that the Clift Road ramp is either closed, unusable due to its condition or a likely spot to get your vehicle damaged or towed. (does anyone know the current status?)

I'd like to do maybe a 6-9 hour smallmouth trip soon. My boat is a Towee Rivermaster that does pretty well in shallow water - although I'm still dreaming about a jet outboard for it.

Any ideas for a good put-in and take-out points?

Thanks!

Todd Baker (technowannabe)
    Float from 25e to forks of the river. Indian cave to nances. The rest is private.

I'm fishing Holston right now lots of small ones few decent ones mixed in. Clift is looking better this year but it's always fine in canoe or kayak.

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    Float from 25e to forks of the river. Indian cave to nances. The rest is private.
    Bummer, that's what I thought - but thanks for the help.

Todd

Thumbs up Fishing Right Now?

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    I'm fishing Holston right now lots of small ones few decent ones mixed in. Clift is looking better this year but it's always fine in canoe or kayak.
    Why are you answering forums while you're fishing?

Thanks. So, the Clift road "ramp" is still open?

Todd

Todd
    Sort of, the locals have been towing cars all summer. The water below i40 is really good fwiw

Todd
    Action was slow and my buddy always anchors up and fishes the same spot for hours!!!! Hahaha. Just jump in my boat and we can run the whole river. Well run most and drag some