Thread: Elkmont Trip 7-1

Default Elkmont Trip 7-1

Took a vacation day to do some fishing. Went above Elkmont and the water is really low. The fishing was OK, not great but I had a great time and ended up with about 15 fish to hand. Most were on the small side. I really had to work for these guys. Low water tactics are hard for old men!

First fish was the best fish of the day

Caught several of this size

I started out using a dry/dropper with a yellow stonefly pattern and a green weenie. Later I took off the dropper and was using a light colored adams pattern.

Saw this guy on the trail

I had never seen this old trestle before.

Another fish picture

Saw this guy on the way out of the park

All in all a great day to be out. I don't think I will fish the Park again until the flow improves.

God Bless,
    Dances with Trout

Nice report that water looks awesome in that trestle photo. Is that a black racer or just standard black snake?

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    Nice report that water looks awesome in that trestle photo. Is that a black racer or just standard black snake?
    Black rat snake

Awesome report!!!!!!!!! Fished there last week for a couple hours, fishing was a little slow and the water was a little low. it was enjoyable though. Glad you were able to get out and dance with some fish.
    I am a fisherman for life. I will always be a fisherman. Itís not something I do, it is who I am. Fishing is not an escape. It is where I belong, where Iím supposed to be. It is not a place, but a lifelong journey. It is a passage my father showed me, and I will show others. When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will fish together.

I fished up there last weekend. Water got up to about 66-68 degrees and was pretty low. Fishing was okay, but there were quite a few fishing as I walked on up the trail.

Last summer there was some pretty good bear action up through there. Yogi and I passed each other one day, I didn't see him but I bet he saw/smelled me. While I was up there last weekend, I did see some 2-3 day old bear scat, so he may be back.

Snakes, bears, not sure I want to fish with you anymore, there is already talk about you putting your tent far away from us on the next campout! Looks like that bear was fishing in that one shot. Gotta be hard to hide if you are a bear on skinny water! Nice report looks like you earned those fish, see ya at RJ's on the 28ith!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."