Thread: Foam egg

Default Foam egg

When tying and fishing single foam eggs, do most people put weight on the hook when tying? Or fish with split shot?

I have done it both ways. I prefer to use a dark tungsten bead tied close to the middle of the shank and the egg yarn tied around it. If you had the time, tie in the bead and then put a couple of coats of similar colored nail polish on the bead and let dry before tying in the yarn. Whenever I have used yarn egg flies, it is usually as a dropper behind another nymph pattern.

I'm like Gary and carry both but I seem to use split shot with an unweighted egg more often.
    Lynn

Haven't ever though about it? I have always used egg yarn with no weight. I usually fish the egg as a dropper off of a weighted fly or unweighted nymph with split shot.
    Last edited by flyman; 07-15-2016 at 08:10 PM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by alc609 View Post
    When tying and fishing single foam eggs, do most people put weight on the hook when tying? Or fish with split shot?
    If I were fishing with a single foam egg I would not put the weight in the fly itself. A bead might add some attraction, but the egg needs to float like it weighs nothing in the water. Even with a double rig (San Juan worm + tiny ufo or zebra midge+ or egg pattern) I like the weight to be a little ahead on the line. Set your indicator a foot or two longer than you think and concentrate on getting a good mend to get the weight in the right spot. If you can get the split shot in the proper place, the flies ( egg) will follow. Just my 2 cents😎. You will also probably make a poor cast, sit down on the bank, cut out the mess, quickly refit some kind of something and start catching fish. Funny how that works.
    You can't stay dry and one temperature all your life! ROB

Thanks for the advice