Thread: Colorado advice

Talking Colorado advice

Going to Colorado at the end of the month on a family trip. Fortunately for my my wife's Aunt lives at the South fork of the North Platte near where buffalo creek comes in. I believe her mailing address is Foxton Colorado and is about 30 minutes from Bailey. I hope to do some boating and fishing and thought I'd reach out here for advice. Supposedly its a Gold Ribbon Trout stream right where she lives although I don't know what that even means. I have never been out West and am a total newby. I am willing to do a bit of driving if some place is worth it, but would like to concentrate on areas SW of Denver for this trip. Hopefully David and others can chime in as to what gear to take and what tactics to use, and most importantly which places to go.

I have scrolled through Stans, John's, and others Colorado posts, but could still use some more info.

Thanks in advance,
    James Locke
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    Going to Colorado at the end of the month on a family trip. Fortunately for my my wife's Aunt lives at the South fork of the North Platte near where buffalo creek comes in. I believe her mailing address is Foxton Colorado and is about 30 minutes from Bailey. I hope to do some boating and fishing and thought I'd reach out here for advice. Supposedly its a Gold Ribbon Trout stream right where she lives although I don't know what that even means. I have never been out West and am a total newby. I am willing to do a bit of driving if some place is worth it, but would like to concentrate on areas SW of Denver for this trip. Hopefully David and others can chime in as to what gear to take and what tactics to use, and most importantly which places to go.

I have scrolled through Stans, John's, and others Colorado posts, but could still use some more info.

Thanks in advance,
    James Locke
    Sweet! I grew up out there (Ft. Collins) and was stationed at an Air Force base I'm Colorado Springs for a few years. I used to fish near Deckers, on the South Platte and up in Eleven Mile Canyon - but that was in the 90's. I've started planning a trip for later this year so I've pulled together some more recent Intel. I'll pull it together and post it later this weekend.

Todd Baker

Talking

Testing, testing, anyone out there?

I know I've been real busy and haven't posted much lately, but hope someone can throw some advice my way.

Thanks in advance,
    James
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Left you voice mail!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

James, the South Platte and North Fork of the South Platte are both great streams. The main problem on the North Fork is access. If you have private access then take advantage of it!

On the South Platte, Deckers and Cheesman Canyon should both be fairly close for you. Elevenmile Canyon is a bit further upstream but also worth the time to fish. Big fish are found throughout the river. These trout mostly have their PhDs so small flies and light tippets (6x and 7x fluoro) are called for. If you can afford a guide while you are there, check out Juan Ramirez (http://hopperjuan.blogspot.com) who guides on the South Platte and is based out of Colorado Springs. He will help you learn how to fish the river so you can be successful the rest of your trip. There will probably be some opportunity to throw hoppers that time of year which can be a lot of fun.

The South Platte is one of the great trout streams in Colorado but it does get a lot of pressure because of its proximity to Denver. If you are willing to drive a bit (around an hour perhaps) then shoot me an email and I can give you some more ideas on places to fish.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I myself will be heading that same direction in September. I'll be staying in the Denver area, and driving to fish the South Platte, around the grasslands and the Deckers areas. This will be my first fishing experience out west. I'll be keeping a close eye on this post for any tips. Ducky I've been doing some research and am finding that long leaders, light tippet, and small fly work best. no actual experience to speak from, just research. I hope someone can chime in with more.
    I am a fisherman for life. I will always be a fisherman. Itís not something I do, it is who I am. Fishing is not an escape. It is where I belong, where Iím supposed to be. It is not a place, but a lifelong journey. It is a passage my father showed me, and I will show others. When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will fish together.