Thread: resurrecting damaged hackle capes?

Default resurrecting damaged hackle capes?

Some bug , mite, or mouse damaged capes have come in to my possession. Quality of the feathers is outstanding , as these were highest quality necks that were originally acquired maybe 20 years ago. I have never had an infestation of vermin in to any of my older tying necks or feathers and have not put these damaged necks anywhere near the other items I have in the tying materials storage areas.

How have others sanitized, sterilized, or "made safe" infested -damaged capes -necks ? Moth balls? Microwave? Some kind of formaldehyde wash? As I said the feathers are outstanding in color and quality so I sure do hate to toss them. Right now they are tight sealed in a zip lock in an isolated area far away from the "good stuff". Your experience?

Joe, anytime i've inherited old tying materials, I always put them in a ziplock, throw it in the freezer for a couple of weeks to kill any bugs, and then wash them with a tiny bit of woolite in bucket of warm water.

I have seen some kind of bug ruin lots of hackles. Moth balls and cedar balls stopped the damage but I guess your damage may have occurred years ago

Joe, this past weekend when I returned to my place in SE Tn, I noticed the same thing mainly on Pheasant tail feathers where something had been nibbling on the ends of some of the fibers. Before I left, I placed all my capes and feathers in a couple of large bags and vacuum sealed them thinking the lack of oxygen would snuff out any mite or bug that was causing the damage.
    God gave fishermen expectantcy so they would never tire of throwing out a line.

thanks for some good ideas

I've nuked them, then froze them. The Woolite will soften the stems up, they can become brittle after many years.

Grumpy

I wash most new stuff in warm water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. This will remove grease and blood (yes I shoot some of my fly tying materials first) and help restore hair and feathers. That will clean up and kill a lot of stuff right there. I also never mix feathers and hair I have collected in with my fly tying stuff for a couple months. Keep it bagged and separated from the rest of your materials. I've tried all sorts of things to help keep stuff bug proof. It is important to keep tying materials put up and off of the floor. I keep stuff that bugs are prone to get into in plastic containers inside baggies. I use flea collars that I can buy at the dollar store and no pest strips to keep the bugs out. You can cut them into pieces and protect several bags of materials from just one strip or collar.They don't stink like moth balls and they so far have been effective.
    http://flyanglersonline.com/alcampbell/ac020204.php
    Last edited by flyman; 07-15-2016 at 07:53 PM. Reason: 42
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali