Thread: first wild slam

Default first wild slam

it has took me along time but i finally did it, i drove from home and it took bout 3 hours to make it to Cherokee nc. i started up the mountain started at one of the pull offs. my first fish was a hoss of a chub, atleast 10 inch and fat, hit on my dry dropper rig hitting the dropper. the dropper was my favorite fly with a twist, i have been trying tenkara and tying the flys so i tied a japanese smoky mountain blackbird

it started to rain so i took the dry fly off, and high stick it, i use a furled leader and have tied some red thread on it in a couple places and use that as a strike indicator, works great. boom the first rainbow

i missed a big brown hiding behind an boulder, i got to see him enough to id him before he shook off. the rain stopped and i switched to a yellow para adams and caught a couple more rainbows

then my first wild brown trout

i finished up with a several brookies in a small trib on a stimi

was a great trip, have to do it again.................

Congratulations! Nice looking fish and I really liked the fly.

God Bless,
    Dances with Trout

Great report and congratulations!!! I just got my first slam this year myself. There are only certain places in the park that you can achieve this feat, you now belong to an elite group of anglers. BTW, those specs you caught look awesome, mountain treasure!!!!
    I am a fisherman for life. I will always be a fisherman. Itís not something I do, it is who I am. Fishing is not an escape. It is where I belong, where Iím supposed to be. It is not a place, but a lifelong journey. It is a passage my father showed me, and I will show others. When you understand all of this, you will know me, and we will fish together.