Thread: Summer 2016 warm water trip reports

Default Summer 2016 warm water trip reports

Thought I would share a few of my recent trips now that we are into summer.
    It is true if you have been reading the daily reports from Byron , that fishing during the summer months is best early and late. I go fishing regardless if its hot, cool, high or low pressure, cloudy, rainy or sunny days. A day out on the water is better than yard work at home. Sometimes the fish cooperate, sometimes they don't.
    Recent trip to area tailwaters early in the morning was productive for some hungry smallmouth , and as usual , I was throwing one of my favorites, the stealth bomber. My version is slightly modified than the original from Kent Edmonds, but I don't call it my own, just a modified version.
    You notice it is still foggy. I like to be on the water at daybreak.

I also use poppers, this is one I like during summer, when the water is lower. Spun deer hair Lands softer, and sits a little lower in the surface film.

My wife and I recently spent a few more days camping and fishing at Indian Boundary. The lake is very warm and these hot days have moved the fish to deeper water than they were earlier this spring, but during the evening ,sometimes you can coax them up to the surface with a top water offering. I like Black modified stealth bombers during the summer on lakes. maybe they think its a dragon fly, or cicada, or a mouse. This one hammered it and is one of the better largemouth I have caught here in years.

The bream were not hitting well the first couple of days, but my last morning there, they turned on. still on the stealth.

My wife and I really enjoy our trips down there, She paddles around with the dog , while I fish. We get to see some awesome sunsets too. More trips coming soon!

Thanks for the post and pics, that is one pretty largemouth, good size too! That species gets a bad rap, definitely my co-favorite fish

I don't fish for largemouth bass as much as I used to when I spent a lot of time fishing on Douglas lake growing up. They are fun to target on the fly rod. You get to throw those BIG flies.

Great shots! I pretty much go fishing regardless of the weather or not as well. The only time I really look hard at the weather is when I'm considering taking a last minute vacation day to hit the water.

Great Bass Gary, LMB and SMB both!! Looks like another great camping trip. I had a good trip to Cherokee a couple weeks ago, just kind of uneventful except for my truck overheating on the way over while towing!

The fishing was slow, water was low and crystal clear but I caught a few Rainbows. Just never got my Brown I was looking for.
    By the way, one of the guys I work with camped at Grayson Highlands SP last week and fished the New River around Galax a couple of days on float trips. He said the SMB are really turning on out there, it was just almost too hot to float all day, but he caught good numbers of smaller fish. I'm starting to plan a September trip to float the New.
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Looks like its been a good summer for you! I had a great time floating a tail water yesterday. Good numbers of 12-15 inch smallies and I caught one 18"er that was a great fight. Had a big musky swam under my kayak too which was cool to see.

I want to catch a Musky someday! We have several rivers in the region with them, just haven't gone after them yet.

I had a pretty good day this past weekend out on a local tailwater. Left the house at 5 am and drove 90 miles north to find the river still running high and cloudy from the previous days generation. Turned out to be good though, launched the kayak and paddled upstream weaving my way through the softer seams up to an island. The current flow was strong flowing around one side, but there were several bass chasing minnows out in the current. I beached the kayak on the inside soft water and tied on a 6" baitfish streamer pattern I had tied up over the winter. A couple of swings through the current and had one hooked up. I thought for a minute it was a small striper, but as it got closer, it was a decent smallie on the line. Great first fish of the day.

Picked up several more in that run including a largemouth. The topwater bite never really got going , as the water dropped and cleared through out the day. I had to leave around 3pm and head back home, but hope to get back up there soon.

Bran, I talked with Tim Holschlag via email this weekend and got the Guides name on the New River that he used back in March if you are wanting to hire a guide. His name is Richie Hughes, and his guide service is called New River Trips. newrivertrips.com

White and Yellow "Pott's Big Muddy" fly

Fantastic smallie there! Well done!

Thanks Gary, I'll definitely check him out. I appreciate that!
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.