Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoes, boots, or sandal ?

Question Shoes, boots, or sandal ?

What do you wear while wet wading? In the park? I nearly walked out of a pair of hiking sandals on the thunderhead prong yesterday so I'm in the market for something. I really liked my sandals and probably will buy another pair. The ones I had was a cheap pair and I'm thinking upgrade, although I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
    hNt
    A man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.
    A man called Boomer

always boots with neoprene socks . I don't like gravel , sand or silt under my foot and prefer the ankle support of a boot

Same as what surfdog said, and I will add that boots are better protection from poison ivy, stinging nettle, yellow jackets, bald-faced hornets, copperheads, rattlesnakes.........
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I don't like gravel either but I was afraid the hike in or out might tear up the felt soles of my boots. Maybe I'm just over thinking things. Thanks for the help though
    A man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.
    A man called Boomer

hungNtree, i'll go against the grain here, although i do wear boot's/neo socks in the mountains.
    I've been wearing rubber soled boot's for a number of years & haven't killed myself in the mountains or tailwaters, they work great in mud & slippery areas where felt dosen't.
    Tailwater fishing will probably find me in sandals more often than boot's wet wading, my preference.
    Speaking of snake bite's, a friend of mine felt something hit his boot twice a few years back, looked down & a copperhead was coiled & ready to go again, therefore, boot's get my vote for the mountain streams, great ankle protection as well.

Grumpy

I've worn it all over the years including barefoot. I prefer wading boots in the park for ankle support with felt. The rubber just didn't cut it for me.

I've also worn a pair of Korker Hyjacks and they work well, but lack support.

I despise gravel or sand under my feet

On the smallmouth rivers I wear Chacos or flip flops even for days when i won't be wading much.

Tail waters I always wear full boots with felt. A dive into the clinch sucks even in August and I've found full boots to be the best

I guess from my point of view every where has different gear requirements

For wet wading I swear by the Astral Rassler. It's a very light, mid height boot with super sticky rubber soles. The rubber is the same stuff used on climbing approach shoes so it sticks to wet rocks far better than any vibram sole. It's also designed to be used as a wet shoe so it has drain ports and dries super quick.

I used to like Chacos but there's only so many times you can bash your toes in and still wear them, or wander through some poison ivy, etc.

https://www.astraldesigns.com/shop/f...r-unisex#RAUNB

I wet wade in tennis shoes. My reasoning is all about price

I used to wear mostly sandals, then tried some old hiking boots that I drilled some drain holes in (I own some cheap wading boots that suck).
    More recently, I got some Keen Owyhee "sandals" and I love them. Nice protection, not the BEST grip but they are comfortable and dry out fast enough.

If you are planning for a decent hike to get to water and plan on being out all day- I would tie my wading boots to the outside of my pack and wear legit All Terrain shoes/boots to hike in then switch into your wading boots and then change on the way out. To me this makes more sense if you are walking a decent distance in the mtns so you don't tear your feet up trying to hike in wet shoes.

If you are hiking < 1 or 2 miles and have just a small bag for necessities you shouldn't tear up your felt soles with that short of a walk.