Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else experiencing this?

Default Anyone else experiencing this?

I have noticed over the last year or so how some people are using the streams as a hiking trail. I am not talking the main river systems like Little River, this is some of the back country, small streams and ones that the trail is a fair distance off of.

One particular steam I have been fishing for right at 30 years. It's a high elevation stream with a pretty steep gradient. Today I had 3 different people come from upstream to downstream right through where I was fishing. This is not an easy stream to navigate either. In all my years, this has happened two other times, both this year. Anyone else experiencing this?

And yes, I know it's a public park and all of that.

Just curious is this is happening to others.

that is unfortunate to hear. I would not be too happy about that.

What you are experiencing my friend is the result of our own greediness. That is the use of our Park Service and Forest Service land for monetary gain. I know I am stepping on many feet with this post but believe me I know what I am talking about. I am one of the few natives to the Great Smokeys I see posting on this site, which btw I enjoy, it has taken me 65 years to be so opinionated. Google guide or trout fishing the Smokeys see how man hits you get. The commercialization of our Park and Forest Service Land has brought thousands of people to the back country that probably wouldn't be here. Like it or not that is the truth. But this is America the Home of the Free so we will have to accept crowded creeks and parks for commercial gain. I personally think the Smokeys should be off limits for commercial guides, sorry guys. I am glad my side of the mountain is less accessible so it is not as much of a problem but is getting more so each year. God Bless Semper FI.

Quote Originally Posted by jwj1951 View Post
    What you are experiencing my friend is the result of our own greediness. That is the use of our Park Service and Forest Service land for monetary gain. I know I am stepping on many feet with this post but believe me I know what I am talking about. I am one of the few natives to the Great Smokeys I see posting on this site, which btw I enjoy, it has taken me 65 years to be so opinionated. Google guide or trout fishing the Smokeys see how man hits you get. The commercialization of our Park and Forest Service Land has brought thousands of people to the back country that probably wouldn't be here. Like it or not that is the truth. But this is America the Home of the Free so we will have to accept crowded creeks and parks for commercial gain. I personally think the Smokeys should be off limits for commercial guides, sorry guys. I am glad my side of the mountain is less accessible so it is not as much of a problem but is getting more so each year. God Bless Semper FI.

Let me be clear, these people were not fishing and didn't appear to be people who fished either. Most were young and barefoot. They were not being guided either.

Personally, I think what they're doing is dangerous, ruining the fishing aside.

Brings back memories, surprisingly i'm still here.

Grumpy

I assume just rock hopping up a cool mtn stream.
    Doubt they are really using it as an effective means of getting from point A to B.

Quote Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
    I assume just rock hopping up a cool mtn stream.
    Doubt they are really using it as an effective means of getting from point A to B.

In all of my cases, they were going downstream, not up. I also saw them coming out at the very bottom. The stream has such thick rhododendron along its banks, they can only start at a trail crossing and continue on down.

As many years as I have fished this one particular stream, I have only seen this in the last year or two. Kind of like the rock cairns that have now become popular as well.

You are correct everyone in the creek isn't fishing. Lots of them are the "rock stackers" I see even in some of the most remote areas. I dont think they are even aware they are creating a problem for fisherman. I dont know what to say to these folks I guess just let um go wait for the creek to settle down then commence again. BTW anyone know the meaning to the stacked rocks if there is one, or is it just entertainment for the "stackers".

Quote Originally Posted by jwj1951 View Post
    You are correct everyone in the creek isn't fishing. Lots of them are the "rock stackers" I see even in some of the most remote areas. I dont think they are even aware they are creating a problem for fisherman. I dont know what to say to these folks I guess just let um go wait for the creek to settle down then commence again. BTW anyone know the meaning to the stacked rocks if there is one, or is it just entertainment for the "stackers".

The stacked rocks are called cairns, as I found out about a year ago. I believe they are Celtic in origin, again from what I'm told.

As the people who passed me this weekend, they all asked how the fishing was. I just stood there and said it was good, until now. They then replied sorry, for what that was worth.

I guess what also gets me is how ill equipped they are to be doing it the way they are, barefoot and all. Being as how remote some of these streams are, it won't be long till one of them gets hurt. Oh well, Darwin still lurks.........

Jay you are correct these people are ill prepared for the back country. If you watch the news in WNC, every summer there is several deaths from people being washed over water falls, I mean every year, these are the same people you encounter who go un prepared in the woods, some are just lucky and go about their merry way. These folks need to stay away from the water.