Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New pack

Default New pack

It's time for a new pack what does everybody prefer vest,chest pack,waist pack?I have always worn a vest but it's time for a new one and the chest pack has kinda caught my eye while looking.So let me know what you like and why and any pros or cons to each one thanks in advance.

Sling Pack get's my vote!

You have just asked a very open ended question with no pat answer, like asking what is your favorite food, everybody's got a different answer, so here is mine. I have tried everything over the years, the first was a Columbia vest with 22 pockets. Holy crap! You soon find out like anything you carry you will cram it till the zipper's bulging, the velcro won't close, and the next thing you know you own a 57 pound anchor that you will never get off if you go under the water, not to mention hot in summer (yes.. someone will say mesh vests). I then went to a chest pack I bought used from a guide in Montana that I used for a while till once again you cram so much stuff into it you cannot see your feet when you walK!

Next was the Orvis sling pack which I really like but after a year or so I started to realize that on long days I was getting a strain on one shoulder from casting for hours probably from a load unbalance on one side.
    I then bought on sale an Orvis waist bag, with a shoulder strap, the weight seems to be centered above the hips in back but will slide around if I need to reach and because of it's more rectangular shape seems to hold more...ooops there is the cramming stuff bugaboo again! The shoulder strap also seems to disperse the weight a little better with proper adjustment.

I think what you have to consider is what the trip is that day, if I am in the park for a short haul in warm weather I will just wear a lanyard and a small box of flies (because I hate waders and love warm weather!). I have gone to a waist high pants waders and it is amazing how losing that amount of rubber above the waist makes a comfort difference...yes rolling the waders down will work also but trust me it ain't the same as waist high waders. However on a longer day I will wear the lanyard and the waist pack and if a long hike in I will add an Orvis day pack crammed with rain jacket, wading boots, water, cigars and.....so on till the zipper bulges and the velcro won't close!

If trying to buy that one perfect item it is very hard to do, so sooner or later you will end up with a house full of rods, reels, and then camping gear..... and eventually you will end up like Duckypaddler. He now just wears a sheath knife and an official Michael Phelps Olympic Speedo swimsuit. If you see him in the park it is like viewing a trainwreck... it's horrifying to see yet you can't turn away! Good luck in your search.
    Last edited by bigsur; 08-06-2016 at 12:57 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

I've had the Orvis Guide Sling Pack for a couple of years. It works well for longer days on streams in the Smokies, all around mini boat bag, wading salt flats, etc. It CAN get heavy and cumbersome because there is so much room - it's tempting to take everything... but it's lightweight by itself.

Fishpond summit sling pack. Modestly priced at 99.95 with great quality. It's out of the way while fishing but with one move all your gear is accessible. I love mine and it carries plenty
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

I started with the vest, then tried a chest pack. Both had their issues. About 4 years ago I bought a Remington Journey Fanny Pack from Midway USA. It has shoulder straps to distribute the load, a water bottle pocket on each side, 3 zippered sections on the main pack plus zippered pockets on the belt. I then added a couple of Army surplus ammo pouches to the front of the belt and can now comfortably carry a full day's worth of pretty much whatever I need without it flopping around and being in my way.

I love this pack. Unfortunately, it seems to have been discontinued. But I'm sure a creative person could find something similar. Pro tip: don't confine your search to fishing equipment providers.
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!

Excellent post bud! I have experienced many of your perspectives!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
    You have just asked a very open ended question with not pat answer, like asking what is your favorite food, everybody's got a different answer, so here is mine. I have tried everything over the years, the first was a Columbia vest with 22 pockets. Holy crap! You soon find out like anything you carry you will cram it till the zipper's bulging, the velcro won't close, and the next thing you know you own a 57 pound anchor that you will never get off if you go under the water, not to mention hot in summer (yes.. someone will say mesh vests). I then went to a chest pack I bought used from a guide in Montana that I used for a while till once again you cram so much stuff into it you cannot see your feet when you walK!

Next was the Orvis sling pack which I really like but after a year or so I started to realize that on long days I was getting a strain on one shoulder from casting for hours probably from a load unbalance on one side.
    I then bought on sale an Orvis waist bag, with a shoulder strap, the weight seems to be centered above the hips in back but will slide around if I need to reach and because of it's more rectangular shape seems to hold more...ooops there is the cramming stuff bugaboo again! The shoulder strap also seems to disperse the weight a little better with proper adjustment.

I think what you have to consider is what the trip is that day, if I am in the park for a short haul in warm weather I will just wear a lanyard and a small box of flies (because I hate waders and love warm weather!). I have gone to a waist high pants waders and it is amazing how losing that amount of rubber above the waist makes a comfort difference...yes rolling the waders down will work also but trust me it ain't the same as waist high waders. However on a longer day I will wear the lanyard and the waist pack and if a long hike in I will add an Orvis day pack crammed with rain jacket, wading boots, water, cigars and.....so on till the zipper bulges and the velcro won't close!

If trying to buy that one perfect item it is very hard to do, so sooner or later you will end up with a house full of rods, reels, and then camping gear..... and eventually you will end up like Duckypaddler. He now just wears a sheath knife and an official Michael Phelps Olympic Speedo swimsuit. If you see him in the park it is like viewing a trainwreck... it's horrifying to see yet you can't turn away! Good luck in your search.

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

When the weather is cooler I use a fishing vest (crammed with all kinds of stuff I rarely use), but when the weather is warm I use a lanyard I made myself out of paracord. Using the lanyard is much more comfortable in hot weather and forces me to travel light.

I also purchased the fish pond summit pack and am very happy with it . It is better suited for a full day of fishing with all that it can hold. the only draw back for me with the pack is it only holds the 1 water bottle , it easily could have had a hydration bladder option . The fix for extra water is easy enough with a life straw bottle or stashing extra water in a compartment.

I would like to add that I have done the chest pack and found it blocked my vision of my footing when navigating steep areas , I kicked more rocks and tripped more .