Thread: Provo, UT

Default Provo, UT

Got to do a little fishing on the Provo River in UT this week.

Caught 15 Brown's, one rainbow and one white fish - good times

Very nice fish!

I am flying into Salt Lake City on Oct. 7th. I have never been to or fished that area.
    Can you give me any tips or advice for fishing that area. I have been looking at the Provo River. We will probably hire a guide for one of the days.

Thanks for any help

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H. View Post
    Very nice fish!

I am flying into Salt Lake City on Oct. 7th. I have never been to or fished that area.
    Can you give me any tips or advice for fishing that area. I have been looking at the Provo River. We will probably hire a guide for one of the days.

Thanks for any help

Scott
    I would highly, highly recommend Ryan from Rocky Mountain Outfitters (in Midway, UT), he was an awesome guide and an all around great person to hang out with for the day. Ryan flat put us on the fish and was very accommodating (and patient). Out of the eight of us fishing and the four guides, I won "most fish caught" and the largest Brown's caught.

I'm so glad I got a guide because they fish a lot different from what I'm used to. We basically high stick nymphed with an inline rig consisting of a 1" strike indicator, caddis emerger, sow bug and then about 5 split shot. From the strike indicator to the split shot was about 6' and it was a beast to cast....er.....lob, throw, sledgehammer.....whatever you'd call the ugly action I was having to do to make things move. Like they said - "we don't fish pretty out here, we fish to catch fish" :-). The guides referred to any Brown's less than 16" as cookie cutter fish (these are all wild). They said the population is 30% Rainbow to 70% Brown, so they all hunt the Rainbow like we do the Brown's. They also set the limits where people can keep the fish less than a certain length (think it was 16") but have to throw the larger back. Everything there is opposite day from here at home......

Thanks for the info!

I will definitely look them up.

Scott

Those are some beautiful browns! Looks like you had a fantastic trip.

I always wondered why they don't have length maximums on keeping fish instead of length minimums. I'm glad somewhere got that implemented