Thread: Yellowstone River closed from Gardiner downstream 183 miles

Default Yellowstone River closed from Gardiner downstream 183 miles

A significant parasite based fish kill has lead to a decision by Montana fisheries managers to close the Yellowstone river to all activities , including fishing. Article in the Billing Gazette details the kill and the closure. Pretty dramatic action as this is the height of summer tourist fishery from Yellowstone Park to Livingston and downstream, and the economic impact is extensive. On the other hand this river is a treasure and the closure sounds like a necessity per article. Includes Spring Creeks like Armstrong and Nelsons. So far YNP is not closed. Might want to keep your eye on this is you are heading out that way anytime soon.

This is a huge piece of news IMO. For the FWP to take this action the parasite outbreak must be a very serious situation.

http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyle...2c343f7dc.html

Default Too late

Too late, I am already here. We drove from Livingston to Gardiner yesterday. The river is closed to all activity so it was strange not seeing anyone on the river. A lot of folks are loosing a lot of money. It must be very serious to do it with all the pressure they are facing.
    Don Winningham

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.

So there was a fish kill on the Spring creeks as well ?

Don't know about kills on Armstrong or Nelsons. But the entire watershed is closed to include Stillwater Boulder Shields.

The parasite causing the issue is known generally as PKD, and affects kidneys of fish . From another website discussion:

""The pathogen is a myxozoan parasite of salmonoid fishes called Tetracapsuloides bryosalmonae; it causes a clinical condition called PKD (Proliferative Kidney Disease). It’s been long studied in European farmed and wild salmonoids as well as primarily West Coast salmonoid populations in the US.

.... there had to be an introduction or inoculation of the parasite into the watershed at some point. Did it come from chronically infested waters on the West coast or was it seeded after the 2012 PKD outbreak in the Upper Snake Drainage (Henry’s, South Fork of the Snake, and Teton Rivers)? Or another time and source? The true vector will likely never be known.

[While there’s long been discussion in Montana to ban Californians, the persistence of PKD in California rivers my reignite the debate if the PKD outbreak isn’t contained…]

And two, it’s widely known this has been a tough water year, with impressively low flows and at times worrisome high temps on the Yellowstone, both of which stressed fish populations and make clinical infection much more likely.

The critical caveat from the point above…

Decontamination of gear is important year round from a general invasive species perspective, but absolutely critical if fishers OR recreationists have spent any time on the Yellowstone in the prior weeks.

Pleasure floaters and critters, dogs in particular, transport parasites from river to river routinely and are rarely targeted in invasive species campaigns.""""
    Last edited by Joe Congleton; 08-22-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Don.............again..........really?
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Default I knew it

Flyman,

I knew I would here from you. I am here with the wife who does not fish😪. So, I am hiking about 8 miles per day. On Monday, I got to drive up the Lamar Valley and watch a few hundred other people fish the Lamar and Soda Butte rivers. Now, that is like fly fishing's version of water boarding. I had two rods in the trunk but they did not see any river water. Maybe, tomorrow or Thursday.
    Don Winningham

Lot of stuff going on out there this summer. I have been following Arricks Fly shop Facebook page lately. He has been putting pictures of the Fires going on in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. He also posted some good reports of fishing on Hebgen lake recently.

Some parts of the upper river have re-opened
    Salvador Dali

OH NO! Now they have found it in the Jefferson.
    Salvador Dali

Default Time

I talked with a guide in a shop in Cody when I was out there recently - yes again Flyman - and he said they will just let this run its course. He said they needed some higher water levels and cooler temperatures. Of course, the higher water levels will not occur until snowmelt next spring. I know nothing about this type thing so I am not sure if he is correct or not.

By the way, I read a fiction book by a Montana author last year in which the plot centered around a guy who was planting infected fish in the rivers. It would be really sad to find out that is what is happening. Some folks out there are blaming it on the left coasters. I think some out there would like to ban folks from a certain left coast state.
    Don Winningham