Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod suggestions

Default Rod suggestions

I have been fly fishing for about two years. I mainly fish the tailwaters. I have a beginner setup I picked up from Gander Mountain. I think it is time to upgrade ha ha. I am by no means an expert caster. With that in mind, any suggestions on a new rod?

Default Echo Base is Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by jbuck View Post
    I have been fly fishing for about two years. I mainly fish the tailwaters. I have a beginner setup I picked up from Gander Mountain. I think it is time to upgrade ha ha. I am by no means an expert caster. With that in mind, any suggestions on a new rod?
    Glad you've stuck with it long enough to be ready to move up. I'm not a big gear addict - but I have owned a few rods from the lowest end of the spectrum, to the middle of the road. I recently purchased an Echo Base rod as a backup rod and for when friends come along. The decision was based on a bunch of reviews and recommendations online.

So far, I really like it. It's not quite as fast as what I thought it would be - but I've only fished it with a slightly heavy sinking line.

Here's one of the better reviews.
    Last edited by technowannabe; 08-27-2016 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Correction

How much do you want to spend? I'd head to a flyshop & cast as many as they have in the price range you're thinking about.
    With today's rods, you could be happy with a $200 rod or $800.

Grumpy

I would prefer to have both a new rod and reel for around $400.

Quote Originally Posted by jbuck View Post
    I would prefer to have both a new rod and reel for around $400.
    Your question is a difficult one to ask, it is like asking who should I marry? Here is my two cents, for the money you have mentioned I am a fan of TFO BVK for a few reasons, one being price, bang for the buck and quick turnaround service for a fairly reasonable price if you break it. You will see guides around here use as client backup rods. My primary experience in rods are Orvis, Winston, and TFO, all have their reason and rhyme in my quiver.
    I own the TFO Finesse also but find for a few dollars more the BVK is worth the money. I consider it a well rounded journeyman rod for all purpose. I have caught Colorado cutties, above the slot bows and browns in tailwaters, to brookies in the Smokies on my BVK 4 & 5wt. If there has been a failure, it's me not the rod! Good luck in your search!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

I second the BVK. The TFO Mangrove is great too. For tailwaters I like a 6 weight. With a 6 weight you can cover trout, bass, and carp, or dries, nymphs, and streamers if you think of it that way. Get a reel with an extra spool and have a floater and a sinking line of some type and you'll be covered for tailwaters. The new Redington Vice is also excellent.

You can get the Redington Voyant combos on closeout right now. The line is the only part of consider a beginner piece. The Voyant is a good rod and the reel is nice.

The BVK or Mangrove are two good rods, the redesigned Clouser falls in there as well, an Orvis Access reel would round out to a nice outfit.
    I hope you have access to a shop to cast different rods, even brands, it's easy to recommend brands we're familiar with, the other's mentioned are good companies to & i for one enjoy hearing why someone chose this rod over that one, we're all different.

Grumpy

You might check out the rod reviews from the Yellowstone Angler's 5 weight Shootout - https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/ge...oop-optistream . Although the test and result are not to some people's liking, the rod descriptions are very informative. They do similar reviews for other weight rods and for reels as well.

I bought a BVK rod and Orvis Access reel as backup;however find that I use it most of the time as the primary. This is in your price range and will serve you well.

Might I suggest the orvis recon combo from orvis.
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV