Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fine tuning the Stealth Bomber

Default Fine tuning the Stealth Bomber

Hi everyone!

This is my first post on here after reading this forum for a while. I have a question about tying the "Stealth Bomber" topwater pattern as described by Byron and invented by Kent Edmonds.

My question is this: what is the benefit of the extra fold in the foam on the back? I have been tying them without the extra space in between the lower and upper foam layers and they have been catching plenty of fish. Why is the upper layer of foam in the back of the fly elevated? It just seems to make the fly more air resistant when I try to cast it. Does it have something to do with the action in the water upon retrieval?

Thanks in advance for any insight,
    Kippy

The extra fold makes an air pocket, so that when you strip the fly under , the air comes out from both sides and leaves a bubble trail. It also helps create that special sound that really makes this fly special. I have modified my versions of the fly to make them more durable and easier to see. It is probably my favorite topwater Smallmouth fly to tie and fish. This is one of my articulated versions. I tie them from a size 8 to a size 2.

Nice one Gary!! Yes, like Gary says, it leaves the best bubble trail of any fly that I fish, and Bass find it hard to resist a bubble trail.
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks Troutman. How are you cutting the foam head into such a neat curve? Stenciling it out and cutting with a razor blade? Is there a stinger hook back under that articulation? Great Tie!

Kippy have you every watched the video of Kent's?
    https://youtu.be/OiyRvcEkOB0

That's a good one Troutman. What is the body made out of? Did you wrap it over foam?
    Last edited by flyman; 09-09-2016 at 09:09 PM. Reason: 42
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

LRO has cutters for the stealth in three different sizes I think. Beats cutting them by hand and keeping up with the templates. Call them I bet they can set you right up.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by KippytheTrout View Post
    That makes a lot of sense! Thanks Troutman. How are you cutting the foam head into such a neat curve? Stenciling it out and cutting with a razor blade? Is there a stinger hook back under that articulation? Great Tie!
    Yes, I use the Cutters from River Road creations. The size 6 and 10 cutters. before they were available I made a stencil out of a large flat magnet sheet and just traced out the outline on the foam. The cutters are much easier and cleaner. I do not put a stinger hook on the rear of the articulated ones. Just an articulated short shank with a strike indicator ball so that it floats thetail section. I tie them on a size 2 stinger hook.
    Flyman,
    The material I use for the body is sparkle braid and yes it is wrapped over top of the foam. I assemble my stealth a little different than the original. the foam is glued to the shank in two different sections. the front is the cut out body and the rear is wider with a narrower piece glued to it on the inside to give the loop more structural support. That loop does not collapse now and keeps the front wing supported in an upright position also. Better sound from a larger air pocket also. once the foam is glued and tied down the sparkle braid instead of dubbing, is glued down as its wrapped. this technique makes the fly more durable and I haven't had one yet ,break free of the shank and spin like the originals often do after a few fish. If anyone came to last winters fly tying demos at LRO, you saw me tie this fly.
    Here are a few more pictures. Notice that I put a bright colored sight spot of razor foam on the wing. These flies sit very low in the water and this helps track them at distance. I make my own bass leaders using the 60-20-20 rule down to 10lb test. and I use Maxima Ultragreen tippet . The Maxima is stiffer than regular trout tippet and does not twist the line. I have tried the new RIO bass tippet and it is very supple and seems to twist badly and tangle easy. I don't recommend it for bass flies.
    Green and white on a size 4 stinger. size 6 cutter. pearl sparkle braid

Black and yellow with yellow sparkle braid body on size 4 stinger

Grey and white shad pattern on a size 6 stinger using a size 10 cutter.

I fished this past saturday and used one green /white stealth for 6 hours and caught over 30 Smallies on it. I lost one whole side of legs and it tore the foam , but it never broke loose from the shank. Lots of these guys.

Back in the spring , it is always the first fly I tie on to see if I can get some on topwater.

Last edited by Troutman; 09-12-2016 at 10:47 AM.

Thanks Troutman, good tips on the fly and leader set up
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Those things are straight up gorgeous!!! Funny thing. I'm over here in Charleston, SC for the first time and none of the "traditional" redfish flies are getting a bite... But they're all over the surface. What's the first fly I pull out? Yup! The stealth bomber. Still empty-handed - but I'm pretty sure they'd work in some situations.

Quote Originally Posted by technowannabe View Post
    Those things are straight up gorgeous!!! Funny thing. I'm over here in Charleston, SC for the first time and none of the "traditional" redfish flies are getting a bite... But they're all over the surface. What's the first fly I pull out? Yup! The stealth bomber. Still empty-handed - but I'm pretty sure they'd work in some situations.
    Go visit the lowcountry fly shop in Mt Pleasant - they are INCREDIBLY helpful when it comes to fly selection down there. Also the flies are reasonably priced. I went in with questions and the guy who helped me spend 20 min showing me pictures of what to look for, how to approach them, etc. Good luck.