Thread: Eagle Creek & Spence Field

Default Eagle Creek & Spence Field

Looking to see if anyone has information they are willing to share on -

1. Insight into what Eagle Creek is like (cascading pools, long runs), the undergrowth, fishing experience between CS 96 & CS 97. Yes, interested in hearing about any honey holes in the area

2. How much i am going to hate the hike from CS 97 to Spence Field shelter on the AT.

Thank to anyone willing to share and respond

Mac

A few years back, I camped at #89 hiking from the bottom up. The creek is a descent size and there are a lot of trout. I caught 101 on a yellow stimulator one day. The creek can be tight in places with overhanging trees, but worth the trip for numbers, though not much for size. The lower 1/2 of the Eagle Creek trail is nice with no difficult sections and the creek stays close to the trail. I've been up to #97, but that was many years ago and I don't recall any specifics.

Lots of wet crossing in the upper half of the creek. The trail mostly follows the creek and isn't too bad up to 97. The creek becomes smaller pocket water/plunge pools. The trail from 97 up to Spence field isn't too bad either. Switch backs, moderate grade. It only becomes steep in the last 1/2 mile or so. Very remote and beautiful though.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Lots of creek crossing, fishing is pretty good, can be excellent, depending on water levels, time of year etc. Right now Eagle is very low, fish are some what stressed, we need rain on the Tar Heel side of the Park. BTW as in many areas of the park watch closely for snakes. Eagle Creek seems to have more than its share of these varmits.

Talking

#2 - Your Kung-Fu is too weak

I remember doing it ONCE 20 something years ago. Did I mentioned I did it ONCE?

Poor Colby is going to thing your caught Torrets
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    #2 - Your Kung-Fu is too weak

I remember doing it ONCE 20 something years ago. Did I mentioned I did it ONCE?

Poor Colby is going to thing your caught Torrets

I think you should do it. If you guys make it out, the trip report would make for some excellent reading, the likes of which we haven't seen since you almost flooded yourselves out!

Thank for everyone's suggestions and taking the time to respond - sure they will be helpful

Ducky - I will report back on the "Kung Fu" strength

NDuncan - Hope to have an entertaining report to share when we return. Hard to beat a 100 year flood

Mac my family and I came down from Spence to 97 last year and camped at 97. Many stream crossings but of course the water is low so should be easy. From observing the steepest part is probably the first 1.5 miles (or last for you) but looked doable. We had climbed up Jenkins Ridge the previous day I wouldn't advise going up that it was terrible. 97 was a huge island the camping spots were ok. Lots of holes and good water around it. I had broken my tenkara rod the day before so I tied the leader to a long stick and still managed to catch a couple of trout although casting wasn't very pretty so I just snuck up to deep holes and dappled. If I had my tenkara I would have fished at most of the crossings upstream they all looked good.