Thread: Fishing & Vacation last week

Default Fishing & Vacation last week

Well, the TN Smokies vacation finally got here, after enduring the beach and the Orlando, FL area earlier in the year! The first thing I learn is that Byron isn't kidding about the drought and low water on The Fishing Reports! We're also very dry at home, but, thankfully we're getting much needed rain today.
    After arriving Saturday evening in G-burg I spent the rest of the weekend doing a little history prospecting with my wife. I found a gem that I had read about a few times and had marked it on my list to go see:

By Monday it was time to hit a couple of mid elevation streams and try out the 3 wt. which hasn't been used this year. They were slow, and extremely spooky, it took me a little while to get in the swing of things staying low and being stealthy. After a few misses I hooked up:

The rest of the afternoon yielded a couple more to hand but all together fairly tough fishing.
    We continued on a few more scavenger hunts, rode down to Metcalf bottoms and on to Townsend. On the way back we decided to detour out through Wear Valley and see the sights. We had scarcely left Townsend when we ran up on the bad wreck that Byron wrote about the other day, we were the second car to get there. We tried to assist and make ourselves useful, soon the EMS and Fire services arrived. What a professional, great bunch of folks you have there in Townsend!! My wife continued directing traffic while I got out of the way and tried to be useful wherever I could, I'm glad to say the couple were ok, although they had to be flown out.

Back to fishing, I made it out a couple more times, but, the best by far was Friday afternoon. I tied my typical dry/ dropper except decided to switch the BHPT for a Green Weenie. I had several fish take, but, for whatever reason the dry action seemed to be a lot better Friday also.

I ended my day with 18 to hand, and at least that many more misses and strikes. Saw many more that saw me first, but, it always reminded me to slow down and the slower and lower I approached the better the outcome.
    All in all a very good trip, I just hope you all are getting some of the rain we are today and we'll be back closer to normal soon. I'm really looking forward to being able to break that 3 wt out one more time before Winter!!
    Cheers!
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Glad you finally made it over the mtn and caught some fish while here!

Thanks for the pics! Nice fish

Great taste is the rod reel choice. Nice fish as well
    Romans 10:9-10 KJV

Thanks guys! Gary, good to get across the hill and good to see you last week!!
    Flyred06, I love those green rods!!

Thanks for the report. The crazy thing is, I'd known nothing about the Pearl Harbor tree until WBIR did a quick bit on it the other night. Now, it shows up in your report. I guess I need to add it to my "to do" list now.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Quote Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
    Thanks for the report. The crazy thing is, I'd known nothing about the Pearl Harbor tree until WBIR did a quick bit on it the other night. Now, it shows up in your report. I guess I need to add it to my "to do" list now.
    Definitely worth a visit Buzz. It's not so easy to find because the "trail" leads toward the flatland, but, head straight uphill from the pullout and you'll find it. I didn't post it because of the picture limit but there is a concrete slab with a drain hole at the rear of the home site that has really got my curiosity as to what it was. Mr. Myers bought a home after '36 in Townsend and moved his family there around '39 but he was still farming cattle in Cade's Cove and thus was there in '41 when Pearl harbor occurred. There was a hole, I assume the outhouse, and right near it was the slab. I also found the corner stones, and some rotted logs layed in a straight line, I assume the original house structure. Very interesting for sure.

Thanks for the tip!! I'll check it out.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Another great part of history for those of us who live here or for visitors, it is fairly well known by locals, here is the whole story below, it ran on WBIR on DEC 7, 2015 on our local TV station. The hole you saw may be the old cellar referenced below in story.

LinK: http://www.app.com/story/news/2015/1...cove/76924732/
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Quote Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
    Another great part of history for those of us who live here or for visitors, it is fairly well known by locals, here is the whole story below, it ran on WBIR on DEC 7, 2015 on our local TV station. The hole you saw may be the old cellar referenced below in story.

LinK: http://www.app.com/story/news/2015/1...cove/76924732/
    Very interesting. I found it from the GoSmokies forum. One member was talking about it. Interesting thing is my wife got in a conversation with the folks at the info desk at Sugarlands visitors center the next day and they weren't familiar with it. I think to me it was a patriotic experience to be able to stand there and admire what that family was going through that day, as well as so many other families preparing for what they must have known would come.
    Greatest generation. Thanks for sharing that with us, I enjoyed the article and am going to print it and keep it.