Thread: Trip to Smokemont

Default Trip to Smokemont

I have another picture-less boring text only fishing report. Last Saturday, myself and a fellow professor took a group of 10 students for a camping trip to Smokemont. Whoever made the schedule made sure that the entire afternoon Saturday was "unstructured freetime" which is professor talk for "I'm going fishing, do what you want, don't die, don't get lost, and don't cause a problem"... 4 of use headed up Bradley fork for fishing. Two were fly fishing newbies, and were mostly just trying to figure out how to cast.

We did see a yearling bear on the Bradley Fork trail, so that was fun.

The fishing was semi-slow mostly from low water.

My final Talley was 10 rainbows, 3 brookies, and 2 browns. Almost all of them were on the dropper. The best was a 9.5" rainbow, but most of the fish were about 6-6.5".

I did manage to keep a couple of the rainbows and grill them up on the campfire so that the students could taste the magic is freshly caught trout cooked over wood fire.

I completed goal 1 for the trip - caught my slam.
    I didn't complete goal 2 - catch a keeper sized brown, but I guess I'll just have to try again later! (the fight with the big rainbow was definitely the highlight anyway so I'm totally disappointed)

Nice post, great job continuing to take people fishing

Where you with the group from Maryville College natural sciences? I was camping over in F-loop at F038 on the water this weekend also. We didn't arrive till about 2pm on Saturday.You may have seen my wife and I walking our little dogs around the campground at times. I did not fish any on Saturday, mainly hung out at the campsite trying to listen to the UT game on the radio.
    I did fish a little on Sunday morning on the Ocono by the entrance till a rainstorm came up and caught a couple of bows. After the rains ceased, I fished just in the campground from the culvert bridge to F-loop up to the BF trailhead, and caught about 15 fish of a mix of small bows and browns, and surprisingly, a bunch of chubs. They all but one, hit the green weenie. The water is very low but they still hit the green weenie swinging through the faster currents and what plunge pools I could find. It definitely picked up after the rains, as the water spiked up a little. The weather was perfect and it sure felt much cooler over there.

That was us!

When I saw the MC van parked there, with all the students in their hiking boots and backpacks, I told my wife that was probably an enjoyable class to take. They get to take fun overnight field trips to the mtns!