Thread: Eagle & Hazel in 7 days and 6 nights

Default Eagle & Hazel in 7 days and 6 nights

Wanted to share a couple highlights from a week in the back-country I hope you enjoy.

Left Fontana Marina Saturday October 1st and was dropped off at the Lake Shore Trail where we started our hike heading up Eagle Creek. Surprised at how many people we saw in the lower parts of Eagle but as we hiked up to CS 96 the crowds disappeared quickly.

Spent the first full day fishing the lower section of Eagle. Mostly Rainbows and a few Brown Trout that were larger than expected but very spooked and stressed from the low waters. I personally would have rated the lower sections of Eagle a little more difficult than average.

The next day we moved up to CS 97 and spent the day fishing above camp and around Gunna Creek. For my brother and myself we really enjoyed this section of the creek. Up high there was still plenty of water with the large boulders and cascading pools. Fish were much more eager with browns & rainbows being prominent but very few brook trout. If I had to do over again I would have liked to spend another day fishing up high on Eagle.

This final picture is for James Locke who asked to see a picture of the large Brown trout moving from the lake to Eagle.

2 Questions for the readers Was Gunna creek closed for brook trout restoration and if so, how high do you have to go before reaching the restoration section?

Does anyone know the history of the Saw blade at CS 97?

Our schedule soon had us moving on and hiking up Eagle Creek trail to spend a night at Spence Field on the AT. All I can say about this is it was long and uphill. Would not have been as bad, but Spence Field water supply was dried up so from CS 97 up we cared an extra 4 litters of water each. P.S. no harm was done, staged shot.

The next morning our plans were to follow the Jenkins Ridge Trail down to Hazel Creek and CS 84 Sugar fork. All I will say about this trail is its long and straight downhill. Once we arrived we quickly setup camp and got our fishing gear out for a couple days fishing downstream. I will say that the fishing on Hazel creek for both the lower half and the upper half was on fire for us.

Below CS 83 we mostly used droppers with indicators and the Rainbows and Browns were slamming our nymphs aggressively. Some of the best fishing I have had on Hazel since first fishing it in 86.

My favorite day fishing on Hazel was when we spent the entire day starting at the Cold Spring Gap Trail up to CS 82. The 8 hour day fishing was with dry flies only and it was nonstop. What a wonderful day fishing in the high country of Hazel. During the last full day fishing the high country I had a black bear run across the creek right in front of where I was. The entire thing happened so quick I did not have a chance to take a picture but here is what he left behind on the creek edge.

Hope you enjoyed reading about this small part of a trip in the back-country with my brother.

Mac,
    Looks like a great trip! We decided to try Forney creek this year (next week) as we have been to Hazel several years in a row. After reading your report I am wishing we were going back! I know of a brown there that eats 9 inch rainbows that I would like a shot at. We've seen bear just about every trip there too. Great place.

Talking

Nice report and great pictures!

Hearing you had to carry water to Spence is icing on the cake for me

And I see you left out the tent shots in order to keep some street cred with the hammock guys. Welcome to the dark side.......And no need to hide in the closet

Looks like a great trip and glad you were able to get away. Dr. Ducky thinks you need a few more of these trips a year to combat the increase in wrinkles apparent in those high contrast shots your brother took of you. That corporate job sucks away at your soul, and only the mountains will heal you my son
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

That's great. Thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    Nice report and great pictures!

Hearing you had to carry water to Spence is icing on the cake for me

And I see you left out the tent shots in order to keep some street cred with the hammock guys. Welcome to the dark side.......And no need to hide in the closet

Looks like a great trip and glad you were able to get away. Dr. Ducky thinks you need a few more of these trips a year to combat the increase in wrinkles apparent in those high contrast shots your brother took of you. That corporate job sucks away at your soul, and only the mountains will heal you my son
    "That corporate job sucks away at your soul, and only the mountains will heal you my son" -- the whole reason I moved to TN 3 years ago!