Thread: Couple nights in the backcountry

Talking Couple nights in the backcountry

My buddy Trey contacted me and my other buddy Andrew about doing a fishing trip in the Smokies. Our original plan was moved by a bear warning. While I just wanted to move to a different site on the same stream, Trey was just ready to pick another place. Not sure if it was that he thought the site might get shut down, or if the 2nd night he spent at 24 a couple years back that had his bear encounter that changed his mind, but he was looking for alternatives. I gave him 3 good alternatives for him to pick from and he made the decision from there.

I was looking forward to the trip and like usual worried how my stomach would do. Thankfully with the cooler weather, I felt fine so hopefully there will be doing more back country trips.

Water had been deathly low lately

Thankfully a few more miles up it looked a bit better (smaller channel)

1st fish

First Brookie

Fishing was good, but the water was low and spooky. It was hard to not get fish to run to front of pool. Regular Smokies catch but nothing special.

Signs of Fall are starting to really appear last week

Group from REI set up the 1st night right next to us. I was shocked when I got home and learned each person paid $1300 for 4 days and 3 nights in the backcountry

There guides were friendly, seemed to be teaching total newbys in leave no trace, and cleaned up well after themselves. My only problem with them was when I had just got settled to goto sleep. As they all scrambled to get into there tents for bed everyone's flashlight light up the site like a discotheque. I laid there in disgust for a minute, then after 2nd shine directly into my tent have had enough and yelled out in a not too friendly tone "If you could wrap up the flashlight show in next couple minutes it would be greatly appreciated". That worked perfectly
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Talking

Andrew warming his feet by the fire

We had 3 different camping strategies covered... talk about diversity

Trey has Tipi tent - Lightweight and lots of room for dogs and to play cards if it rains

Andrew did the hammock thing

And I had the really lightweight, but not too much extra room option

Trey had decided to hike in in his wading boots and his ankles paid the price the rest of the trip. On the first full day of fishing we were all going to hike to a different headwater stream. Since I had done 1 of them already I sent Andrew there. Trey ankles kept him fishing closer to camp, so I had choices to make

Decisions Decisions

But why pick one when you can do both

First fish up this high on this stream to the R

This caught my eye

And the specie I was after

Sad to say this was one of the bigger ones. With everyone else complaining babout the drought, I looking forward to many fish dying to we can get some bigger fish in the next few years

Water was so low high up there wasn't any current to drift you fly on

Extra spooky was an understatement

Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Talking

A cluster of fungus

Makes you second guess yourself when you plan on fishing

Looked a bit better upstream

Best Brookie of the day

Cool Quartz veins

Getting pretty small again

Old pipe I'm guessing was part of a moonshine still operation

Best Pool

www.foamiefriends.com

Talking

This next shot shows a confluence

Normally I wouldn't fish higher, but those **** distribution maps are online and keep me pushing on

The left side looked least appealing so I did it first for streambagging.

I worked above it and caught a tiny Brookie, but didn't get a picture. It was combat fishing and I was happy to just land the fish

The right side looked better and went towards the trail

Headwaters trophy - I'm more proud of catching this fish than tons of 8-9 inch ones I've landed

Getting small

Last good pool

Above here it split again and one of a split was an island as well. I crawled up to where I could get a better look above and it looked miserable. I knew the fish continued, but the rhodo had me turning back. So much for hiking back to trail, guess I'll meet up downstream

Night 2 had a full site as well. I thought we were ahead of tourist time, but I guess not. We decided to just hike out next day.

Andrew had his best day ever fishing the other headwater stream and thought he had broken 100 fish which is awesome.

A good time had by all and that $4/ night is seeming cheaper and cheaper
    www.foamiefriends.com

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    And I had the really lightweight, but not too much extra room option

BA Fly Creek II? I've spend a ton of nights in mine and love the light weight.

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    I looking forward to many fish dying to we can get some bigger fish in the next few years
    I hate to say it, but I've been thinking the same thing. 2 years from now, the fishing should be awesome.

Glad to see you posting and still getting out.
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Wow, what a trip! Thank you for posting and hope conditions get better soon!
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

Is that a tenkara rod I see in the one picture?
    Looks like an awesome trip!