Thread: Cabelas rod question?

Question Cabelas rod question?

What do you guys think of this? http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishi...Tz_stype%3DGNU

I would like to have a rod to go backpacking with. My other rods are all 2 pc and are simply to long. I'm not sure about this one, but to be honest its about all I can afford right now. So, what do you think?

thanks,
    hNt
    A man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.
    A man called Boomer

I think I've got the 3 piece 3-weight. It's been so long since I've fished with it, I can't really remember. I think I liked it, but I'm not sure. Which one are you thinking about?
    My posts are worthless without pictures

Talking

If your on a budget, this is what I suggest

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_11893_-1?cm_mmc=pla-_-Fishing+Rod+Reel+Combos+Fly+Combos-_-Google-_-Crystal+River+Executive+Pack+8+Freshwater/Saltwater+Fly+Rod+and+Reel+Combo&sku=015578842&gcl id=CLSe6Zfd688CFdgJgQodNnENtw&kwid=productads-adid%5E105318827958-device%5Ec-plaid%5E250388802798-sku%5E015578842-adType%5EPLA

It's $30 for an 8 piece rod. I bought one years ago and take it on extreme off trail adventures where my 4 piece wouldn't be easy to get through. I was only using the rod, but Nathan got one and really likes the reel as well.

Hope that helps
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

I have owned two Three Forks Rods over the years. I bought them at the same sale price when I was expanding my abilities and needed something other than the 5 weight I had started with, so I ended up getting them in both a 4 and a 6 weight. At the time I thought they casted okay. They're a little bit clunky. But not bad given the price. However the 4 weight simply snapped in half the third time I ever used it while I was casting. I hadn't smacked any weighted flies into to or hit limbs with it or dropped it, and it just broke on a back cast. The warranty covers it for the first year but I didn't even go replace it. I saved up and got TFO Professional Series 4 weight and that rod has been splendid.

The 6 weight didn't break or anything, but I ended up giving it to a friend who was trying to learn to fly fish.

My advice would be to use what you have for now and save up for one of the Cabela's stowaway rods, or a travel version of the TFO BVK. They have better warranties and will cast much better. Or if you're okay with a 4 piece, check out the Redington Path. I had one of these in a 5 weight once. It has a life time warranty and it's affordable. You'll be much happier and the 40 bucks you would have spent on the Three Forks will go a lot further.

A nice rod for the Smokies that can be found at pretty good prices on the Internet is the Redington Classic Trout. Lifetime warranty too.

Default Another suggestion on low priced rod

You might look at the new Echo Base rod in a 3 or 4 weight. It is a great value at less than $100. and comes with a case. It has received very positive reviews and I am considering buying one to replace an old Grey GS2 as a back-up rod.