Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing ranch in eastern TN - good idea?

Default Fishing ranch in eastern TN - good idea?

Guys, me and a few investor friends are preliminarily looking at a large piece of property that has about 3800 feet on frontage (both sides) of a major east TN trout habitat. Much of the area is pasture. The body of water is a large stream but too small for boats.

We are considering it as a fly fisherman sanctuary, where we would only allow 2 to 3 people on it per day, for a rod fee of $100-150.

We likely would stock it with larger fish, allowing put-and-take, with all fish under 10 inches released - most of those being wild.

We would also consider building a small, but well equipped, cabin for fisherman to utilize for another $200-300 per night.

This concept is fairly common out in Colorado - me and my son rented a 1 mile stretch of a stream this summer for a day and had a blast.

I guess my questions are:

Is 3800 feet enough for a full day of fishing? Would any of you as fisherman be interested in something like this from time to time? Any other feedback or ideas? Do you like the idea of stocking larger fish or just keeping it wild?

Lightbulb

I would hire a local environmental biologist to assess the stream and do some analysis with data logger temptales, etc. I think it is a exciting idea. If you will be doing this venture to pay the mortgage; you better have multiple angles of revenue without competing agendas. Good luck and hope it moves forward.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Good thoughts. We certainly would consult a biologist before altering the water at all.

Certainly there are plenty of commercial possibilities for the land - building cabins, etc., but I really would like to see more of the private land preserved.

I guess my primary concern is whether a private, fishing-only refuge is attractive enough to anglers to command an appropriate rod fee, as well as whether 3800 feet is enough to satisfy a full day of fishing.

In Colorado (and NM to a lesser degree), it is VERY common to pay from $75 to $150 to fish on private ranches. Sure there are plenty of public fisheries, but I prefer to pay the extra $ and have a slice of my own river for a day. No campers, tubers, or people peeing in the river.

I haven't seen this concept in TN or NC - probably because there is not a lot of privately owned land on the water that is not developed.

DRO (Davidson River Outfitters) has something similar to this. You might want to go check them out as it's not that far away.

I have seen other private waters on the Nantahala River, the part you fish not float.

You may want to do some more in depth checking around as I am sure there are other places. I know of some others just outside of Robbinsville as well.

In order to find some of these places, you may very well have to put boots on the ground so to speak as I don't think a lot of them have web sites, etc. I would start at some of the local fly shops in east TN and western NC and ask around there as well.
    Last edited by JayR; 11-16-2016 at 11:14 AM.

That does sound interesting, with the addition of cabins it could help pull in a fair return. I do concur with Madisonboats, I too believe you would need other angles to pull in additional revenue to make this a successful venture to cover mortgage, overhead costs and to make a few bucks.

My opinion is that 3800 ft is plenty for a day's fishing, I like to work areas extensively and some days never cover over 800 ft. If well stocked and with the limited amount of people per day, the pressure should not be overbearing especially if it is a large stream as you describe.

Good luck!
    God gave fishermen expectantcy so they would never tire of throwing out a line.

Default Can't pee in the river?

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post
    Good thoughts. We certainly would consult a biologist before altering the water at all.

Certainly there are plenty of commercial possibilities for the land - building cabins, etc., but I really would like to see more of the private land preserved.

I guess my primary concern is whether a private, fishing-only refuge is attractive enough to anglers to command an appropriate rod fee, as well as whether 3800 feet is enough to satisfy a full day of fishing.

In Colorado (and NM to a lesser degree), it is VERY common to pay from $75 to $150 to fish on private ranches. Sure there are plenty of public fisheries, but I prefer to pay the extra $ and have a slice of my own river for a day. No campers, tubers, or people peeing in the river.

I haven't seen this concept in TN or NC - probably because there is not a lot of privately owned land on the water that is not developed.
    Wait, I can't pee in the river? I was all ready to sign up until I heard that (kidding) I think the private day use access is a pretty cool idea - as long as it doesn't become the norm around here like it is in some places in the West.

There's one in Va up near Shenandoah, Rose River Farms, ran by Douglas Dear. He runs it as an Angus farm, hay production, etc. with 3 rental cabins and a stocking program. I think his rod fee was $95 last I checked and it's also very limited. He'd be a contact to get some ideas I'm sure.
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.

See link below for interesting pdf doc published by West Virginia University on trout aquaculture. Easy read on stream, pond, and lake stocking and statistics on trout, plus pictures for those of us from Tennessee.

Remember if you get it going my posse and I will be happy to test drive it at no charge to you. Also to increase your approval rating if you can also provide us with cigars and adult beverages; your reviewer's number will increase dramatically!

LINK:
    http://aquaculture.ext.wvu.edu/r/download/45682
    Last edited by bigsur; 11-17-2016 at 04:50 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

If the area you're looking at is anything like it is around here, you're going to need some form of game warden for the property. Once word gets out that fishing is good in that stretch, the locals will likely have little respect for out of town property owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    If the area you're looking at is anything like it is around here, you're going to need some form of game warden for the property. Once word gets out that fishing is good in that stretch, the locals will likely have little respect for out of town property owners.
    That part concerns me. The mountain folks around there already have a love/hate relationship with out-of-towners coming in to do such trivial things as fly fish. The culture in some of those parts is another story altogether, albeit an interesting one. But that could in fact be the deal killer.