Thread: Clinch Fall Tips

Default Clinch Fall Tips

This is my first year fishing the clinch in the fall. The past two times fishing for me has been noticeably slower than just a few months ago. Can anyone speak on how the fishery changes, what fly selection is different, or what techniques are more productive? Or is fishing just simply slower in the cooler months?

To make the most of each outing; I think you need to look at what has changed (conditions) and think about what the fish are doing. Be mindful of the bugs hatching and not hatching. Also; note the clarity of the water and sky. At these times; you will want to be the most stealth with presentation and the most keen with fly imitation. I know this is roundabout advice; but, I hope it helps you expand your skill set.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

The usual midge larvae selection work all fall and winter. And spring and summer really. I do seem to catch a few more on red midges in colder months, but then again they work in the other seasons as well. One thing that makes the clinch easier than it could be is that there is a limited variety of food source, insect wise at least, in the river. Midges, Scuds, and sulfers is about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
    The usual midge larvae selection work all fall and winter. And spring and summer really. I do seem to catch a few more on red midges in colder months, but then again they work in the other seasons as well. One thing that makes the clinch easier than it could be is that there is a limited variety of food source, insect wise at least, in the river. Midges, Scuds, and sulfers is about it.
    I have to agree with 2weight. I have a lot of luck on midges, small emergers and soft hackles. No bigger than a size 18. Indicator or no indicator, it is up to you. When swinging soft hackles or emergers, I don't use any sort of indicator. I seem to get more strikes with a longer leader, but that may be my imagination. At the end of your drift let your midge or soft hackle sway in the current for a few minutes before recasting. doing this makes for fly look like it is fighting its way to the surface to emerge. Also maybe give your line a little twitch here and there. Olive, Tan, black or red seem to be popular colors in my experience. A bead head zebra midge is always a good choice. I have been fishing the Clinch almost every week for the past couple months and this is how I have been catching fish. I hope this helps you 3wt.
    By the way the photo below was from last weekend using a size 18 tan midge soft hackle on my 3wt TFO.

Photo by BigSur jealousy also by BigSur
    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris

Sometimes the difference is using a different color of bead. I do really good with black, gold and copper but lately silver has been turning fish.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
    Sometimes the difference is using a different color of bead. I do really good with black, gold and copper but lately silver has been turning fish.
    Lynn
    Variations in your pattern colors are great this time of year when the water starts to grey up and the sun has so many different angles. Tie variations in your normal patterns and throw them on if things get slow.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

I can't offer you much help. All I ever fish is a size 16 olive midge with silver bead and silver wire, but I can tell you Miller's Island is full of fingering stockers right now.
    My posts are worthless without pictures